What To Expect From a Chihuahua’s Heat Cycle

Female Chihuahua

Female Chihuahua

Female Chihuahuas can make wonderful, loving family pets. In fact, many people prefer them because they don't mark their territory like their male counterparts. If you plan on raising a female Chihuahua, though, you'll need to be aware of their heat cycle. This is a critical time in their life that requires special care and attention; otherwise, you could end up with a liter of unwanted puppies around the home.

Like all dogs, female Chihuahuas must be properly cared for when they go into heat. This is when they are most fertile and will draw the attention of any nearby males. In addition, Chihuahuas in heat will also bleed, which means you'll have to come up with a solution to prevent it from getting on the floor. Keep reading and we'll take a closer look at what to expect during a Chihuahua's heat cycle.

When Will My Chihuahua Have Her First Heat Cycle?

It's important to note that all Chihuahuas are different, and unfortunately there's no easy way to tell exactly when your Chihuahua will have her first heat cycle. Some of them will experience it early, while it may take others well over a year. With that said, most female Chihuahuas will have their first heat cycle between the ages of 6 months to one year.

If your Chihuahua still hasn't gone through her first heat cycle by the age of 18 months, talk to your veterinarian to see if there's an underlying health problem. A simple checkup by a professional vet can reveal whether your Chihuahua has a defect or if she's a late bloomer. On rare occasions, female Chihuahuas may not experience their first heat cycle until they are 2 years old. For your Chihuahua's sake, though, take her to the vet to check for any serious health problems.

Also, you should NEVER allow your Chihuahua to breed during her first heat cycle. This is a sensitive time when her organs and body are adjusting to this natural process. Allowing her to become impregnated places her at greater risk for complications. If you care about the health and well-being of your Chihuahua, wait until her second heat cycle at the very least.

Chihuahua Heat Cycle

Chihuahua Heat Cycle

Evaluating The Different Stages of a Chihuahua's Heat Cycle

Contrary to what some people may believe, there are actually several different stages of a Chihuahua's heat cycle. While most owners assume there is only one, there are actual a total of 4 different stages, all of which are unique in their own way.

Generally, female Chihuahuas will go into heat (lasting approximately 3 weeks) about once or twice a year.

Here are the stages of a typical female Chihuahua's heat cycle:

Proestrus - The first stage of a Chihuahua's heat cycle, Proestrus, may or may not be easy for owners to identify. Some Chihuahuas will exhibit clear, concise symptoms that include bleeding, swollen nipples, excessive licking and a general shift in mood change. Others, however, may exhibit few (if any) symptoms.

The most effective way to determine if a Chihuahua is going through the Proestrus stage is to closely observe and monitor their behavior. Typically, Chihuahuas at this stage of their heat cycle will begin to chase males around in a playful or even somewhat aggravating manner. It's not uncommon to find your female Chihuahua constantly badgering any nearby males.

Estrus - The second stage, known as Estrus, occurs about one week after the the Proestrus stage. During this time, Chihuahuas are fertile and ready to breed. While most Chihuahuas won't allow the male to mate with her during the Proestrus stage, they will however allow it during the Estrus stage.

Identifying a Chihuahua in heat during the Estrus stage shouldn't be overly difficult. They will have swollen, bleedingย genitals and the desire to couple with nearby male Chihuahuas. Males will also be more attracted to the female due to the scent of her discharge.

Diestrus - As long as the female Chihuahua did not become impregnated, she will enter the Diestrus stage immediately following Estrus. This is essentially a rest period that lasts for 30-90 days when the Chihuahua's body is given time to recuperate. She will no longer seek the attention of males, and her body parts will gradually begin to go back to their normal size.

If a female Chihuahua was impregnated, she will skip the Diestrus stage and enter the early stages of pregnancy. Pregnant Chihuahuas will continue to exhibit large, puffy nipples and swollen genitals.

Anestrus - The last stage in a Chihuahua's heat cycle, Anestrus, is a cooling down period when the body and organs are finally getting back to normal. Owners won't notice any visible signs of a heat cycle when their Chihuahua is going through Anestrus. Chihuahua will have normal-sized genitals, no bleeding or discharge and regular moods.

The Anestrus stage will last somewhere between 2-6 months, until they begin the heat cycle over again.

Happy Female Chihuahua

Happy Female Chihuahua

Tips on Dealing With a Chihuahua's Heat Cycle

The good news is that most Chihuahuas will only be in heat for approximately 3 weeks. The bad news, however, is that you'll need to give them extra care and attention to ensure everything runs smoothly. Far too many owners brush off the heat cycle as a "natural" occurrence without giving their Chihuahua the care she needs during this special time.

Follow these tips for a better, smoother heat cycle:

• From the time you notice the first sight of your Chihuahua's heat cycle, keep her separated from any nearby males (unless you want her to get pregnant of course). This means always walking her on a leash and never allowing her to run off.
  • Female Chihuahuas can be a bit more cranky during their heat cycle, so use caution when handling them.
  • Use a doggie diaper or wrap your Chihuahua's bottom up in a blanket to prevent her from bleeding everywhere.
  • Don't make the assumption that your Chihuahua is no longer fertile just because she's no longer bleeding. Depending on her biology, she could still be fertile for weeks after bleeding. The bottom line is that you need to keep her separated from males until you are completely sure she is no longer fertile.

226 Responses to “What To Expect From a Chihuahua’s Heat Cycle”

1. Katie says:

Hi,
    My Chihuahua mix is in her 2nd heat. What I’m Wondering is there anything I can do to help with her pain? I can tell she is not feeling good and she’s not around and males so no pregnancy to come. I’ve gotten her a Heating pad to lay on and she stays on it a lot. Any Advice would really help. Thanks

• Paula says:

My girl seems in pain too, and stands funny and seems under the weather. Is this normal? When my other girl was in heat she was still her same crazy self.

• Alyssa says:

I know it’s been awhile when you posted. I hope you have found a get for your relationship with your pet to be successful. A little investment will be beneficial and would show your love. Aspirin is perfectly find to give to most animals including dogs and cats. No Tylenol or NSAIDs. Heating pad and she showed you she like it by staying on it. I wouldn’t leave it in all night. There is calming collars at pet stores. They work. Good luck I hope everything worked out. I don’t see many replies. Take care. Hope something helped. I’m the owner of a 2 pd teacup who thinks she’s way bigger by the way she barks and runs,after much bigger dogs 5 x and up her size. They are so cute but dynamite

2. Suzanne says:

Hi my dog is panting and spotting. Could this mean she’s in heat or something wrong. This is my first dog and I’ve always had cats. So I’m nerves and anxious cause I don’t know what to do. She also is very shakey and jumps when her butt bothers her. This just started tonight. This has never happen before. She is 2 years old chihuahua Pom or pug.

3. Kim says:

I have a one yr old chihuahua and when she’s going into heat.. I know because she acts like a ho.. around my other male dog.. she does whatever she needs to do to get his attention.. boy does he have it, his heavy breathing.. ugh.. I guess that’s were we get the saying.. horn dog.. because he is crazy.. I have to keep them apart and it’s annoying to keep letting one outside than one in.. I plan on getting her fixed.. because this heat is … ugh.. plus I don’t want puppies.. ..

4. A says:

I agree that the dog shouldn’t be bred during their first heat cycle. In addition to the fact that their body’s still developing, their mind is still developing. In other words, they might not be mature enough to raise a litter.

You gave great explanations and tips.

5. jewels says:

I’ve had my female teacup almost 2 years. was told she was 2 but was also told she was 5 by her teeth. Shes spotting for the 1st time that I know of. Been 2 days I’m confused on why she’s never before. Is she to old to breed or is she ready or what? Idk how I coulda not noticed a heat cycle until now I’d love for her to have puppies at least once.

• Louise says:

There is no such thing as a T cup Chihuahua, they are chi’s that have been bred overly small to meet market demands. They are beset with health problems. It’s cruel and breeding from them can kill them. Please don’t perpetuate the idea that T cup is some kind breed. They’re are bred so celebrities and stupid people can cart them around in handbags.

• Faye Martin says:

I have a 4lb chi but I resent you calling people stupid because they prefer a small lap dog to a regular size dog – personally I don’t like picking up her dog crap ๐Ÿ’ฉ as Tiny as she is – If you like picking up large turds HAVE AT IT … but don’t judge me because I prefer a little lap … (as far as rich people ๐Ÿค‘, no argument there ) ..
        Signed, NOT STUPID OR RICH CELEB …๐Ÿ˜ก

• Carolyn says:

Ty I also proudly own a T Cup chi. I am highly educated but not rich nor a celebrity LOL I say we deserve the pet we choose. He is adored, spoiled and loved by all that meet my Chase! Do wish people would stop protesting the breeding rights of people. Seriously, it just widens the chances for a happy family.

• Alyssa says:

I have never heard of your comment. But hey, that’s life. Anyway, I always thought by what I have investigated that there is teacup breeds that National breeders recognize. Why don’t You? The internet has many reputable breeders and I find what you say, perplexing. I have what I consider a teacup, whom I don’t tore in any bag not even if I flew. She is under 3 lbs and I would never fathom any dog breeding without a dog her size. But I believe in neuter your pets most often. My teacup is trained to recognize my blood sugars. I haven’t had to prick my fingers since 2014. Not once. I get a A1c test to confirm our relationship with my diabetes and her great nose! I am totally grateful for her and my Manx cat you also indicates my levels by certain methods of actions toward me. Even when I sleep. It’s great. And I hope to continue teaching this skill with her babies when the time comes if we ever find the right one. It may never happen. I really hope they accept my post back to you and I haven’t offended you in the least way. I’m just expressing that this so called teacup as you say, she’s a miracle for me, hopefully I can pass my experience, strength and hope to other diabetics who are tired of poking their fingers up to 3 xs a day and each like cost over a buck!

• ANDREA STRICKLAND says:

No such thing as a teacup chihuahua or any other tiny dog..It’s what deceitful breeders call the runt to sell for lots more money.. Sometimes these runts can be very sick or have health problems later.

• Faye Martin says:

“Runt, TCup” …. who cares …
        Some of us prefer small dogs ..
        6-18-17

• Alyssa says:

Right on girl! No matter what the haters say, these babies our ours and they add joy and comfort and best of all, they are very protective these little dynamites!

6. Kelly says:

I have a 11 month old teacup chihuahua and she had her first heat about 2 months ago. It lasted about 3 weeks. However, she went back into heat again about a month ago, again lasting about 3 weeks. Now today she’s showing signs of going into another heat cycle. My male dog is following her around sniffing her rear end just like the 2 previous heats. Is this normal?

7. Sixto says:

Looking to mate my chihuahua anyone willing to mate there boy dog with mine. Live in Brooklyn nyc.

8. Irene says:

When there on there heat cycle does there eating habits change?

9. tina says:

Hi, my chi-weeni is 11 months old. She got her 1st heat the end of April and it lasted well over a month. Its the beginning of August – barely 3 months, and I noticed last night she is bleeding again, her nipples are swelling, and she was relentless with the other male just the day before – I did not really think anything of it as she had just finished her first heat. I know I read somewhere that smaller breed dogs can go into heat 3-4 times a year. Just wondering if anyone else has had their little one go into heat more than twice a year.

10. Jason says:

If my chihuahua is having her very first cycle at 10months and she is at the end of 3 rd week approx but still swollen how but no discharge of blood how much longer should i have to wait for swelling to go back to normal and allow around my male dog

11. Carson says:

Hi, my chihuahua is about 8 months old and just had her first heat cycle. But before that she was left alone with our other male dog. After that she was panting whenever we played together which she didn’t used to do. And is looking a little rounder. Is it possible that she could be pregnant?

12. Omar Fernandez says:

My older 12 year old Chihuahua has never had a litter of pups and was never spayed now she is having a heavy menstrual cycle with blood clots I recently changed her food but I do not know what to do

• Sam says:

Take your dog to the vet, if you haven’t already man. Apparently if your dog hasn’t gone into season by 38 weeks maximum, you should seek medical advice for her. The reason I am browsing is because my chihuahua/sausage dog has come into season for the first time, my point being I just read that on another site. Females problems are gross.

• Alyssa says:

Omg, what happen??

13. Manika ray says:

I’m trying to find out my chihuahua just went through her first heat cycle. and I thought it was over but all of her lil nipples are sooooo swollen? Is this normal? They weren’t swollen like this during her cycle? We do have a male chihuahua but he is fixed so there is no possible way she is pregnant. Should I call the vet?

• Wona says:

Did you ever get an answer to this? I’m having the same issue. The only male she has been with is my little male who had been fixed like the month before. I’m not sure how long it takes for his flex to mean he is shooting blanks.

14. Ruth says:

My chichi…Nina…is 14mos and in heat…have kept her away from Peter esp more.but she has already 3weeks in heat….CAN I BATHE HER…(NINA)..???
    THX

15. Hannah says:

my pup is about 8 months old & she had gone into heat and got “stuck” with another chihuahua, how do I know if she is pregnant? & will she be okay if she is? I’m very worried I don’t want anything to happen to her, she is still reasonably small &it was her first heat cycle. help.

16. Ramon says:

We have 5 chihuahuas and if we cannot take then out at night to go pee or if we are not home during the day because we are at work we have a special place in the house for them. but we got them used to it. Once in awhile we find the males marking their territory in the living room or on bags and it’s hard to stop them we discipline the boys by not letting them go into the living room 4 some days and remind them that’s it’s a No-No. The other day we had to be the girls from The boys because one of the females was in heat and mama had to go to the bathroom she could not get to the area we have have designated for her so she peed in the kitchen she is 6 years old

17. Kathy says:

My girl is 14 years old and she is still having heat cycle, how long will this last?? ๐Ÿˆ

18. Yola says:

I have a question I have a deer head chihuahua she is 11 months old and it’s been 3 to 4 days she likes to hump my boyfriends leg and her nipples are swollen and she also today started leaking mucis from her vulva and she hunts for male dogs is this a sign she’s in heat please answer asap

19. Laura says:

My chihuahua is in heat right now day 8 of active bleeding and has tied with another dog today will she be pregnant? I’m seeing a lot of 11-14 days but I have been told by 2 different people 1 saying it’s the heat process including swollen vulva and 1 said its from the 1st day of blood which is correct??

20. Tori says:

My chihuahua is 8 years old and hasn’t gone into heat in like almost a year now is this normal?

21. Leah says:

My chihuahua, Punky, is about to turn 11 months next week. She’s sexually harassing one of my female cats while only playing with my male dog. Her vulva is really swollen almost the size of a Japanese plum, her nipples are tender and slightly pink. I know she’s in the mist of her first heat. She’s acting miserable and very jealous and clingy. My worry is the swelling start about a week and a half ago but she’s not bled at all. Should I be worried? Please help. This is my first chi and only female I’ve had go into heat. All of my other pets I had fixed before they started.

Thank

22. janet says:

I have a female 19 months old and still no sign of heat? I have taken her to vets but he didn’t seem concerned and said it’s not unheard of? It doesn’t stop me worrying though. She is a healthy weight 3kg and healthy otherwise. Anyone else had the same?

Can anyone recommend good heat diapers for Chihuahuas please for when she does come on?

• Melissa Blevins says:

My Lulu is now in her bleeding stage and I’ve tried every kind of diapers, EVERY KIND, by far the best ones are the washable cover ups, I found them at pet smart, a little pricey, yet well worth it. They fit perfectly on her,( she weighs 8pounds). They have small disposable pads which stick inside the cover up. The cover up has a hole for the tale and velcro straps that fasten snuggly and easily on her back, they come in 2 pks for around $20.00, also you can use regular panty liners rather than the one’s the pet store sells. All in all this is the best by far for comfort, fit and cleanliness.

• Kimberly Pfafff says:

I so agree I have a three year old and I used the same cover ups easy to put in the washer and use again. I purchased mine at PetSmart and have been using them all along so worth the $20 and she has a pink and purple one which adds to her cuteness

23. Kathrinna says:

I have a female chihuahua and a male and my female is in heat and I have been keeping them separated but when I left two days ago for like 1 hr and got back home my two dogs were stuck does this mean she is definitely pregnant, I know she is in heat but she never bleeds when she is in heat

• Sherry says:

If you don’t want her to have pups you can take her to the vet within 72 hours and he can give her a shot to stop pregnancy. But it does prolong her cycle.

24. Kris Rose says:

I have a 6 month old female Chihuahua who at firs was urinating a lot more than usual and I took her to the vet and they couldn’t get a sample to tell cause she’s used to puppy pads so I then realized she was showing signs of early heat. ….she’s whiny and can’t sit still very long and she’s aggravating my male 6 month that old Chihuahua and he sends to try to stay away from her???? Is this, heat examples? ??? I Haven’t seen blood yet however, I’m prepared with diapers but her belly is swollen and hot…
    I choose to not get her fixed cause she was diagnosed with collapsed trachea. The vet thinks it will be ok however I’m worried. I took my make to get fixed and they called me to tell me they couldn’t do it cause his blood work came back with liver abnormalities so we did an x-ray as,well and it shows he has, a wire wrapped around his intestine so im.now dealing with that on top of it all. I’m positive he got it when he was, a baby cause of the place I got him from. Im.worth these pups all day everyday and not allowing anything to happen but could my female have a u.t.I or is, these signs of going into heat???? I keep getting aggravated with her cause it’s so hard to keep her calm

25. kim says:

We have a 1ยฝyear old boy short haired chiwawa n a 7 month old long haired girl.she bled with no swelling for a week starting Jan 26.then today Feb 29.she started dripping again n now she is swollen n has been for a week.so I supposed she is really in heat now.??ok the short haired boy is very aggressive against our 6 month old girl rat terrier.should I be worried about pups next time if we get pups.were trying not to get pups the first time..

26. Kacie says:

Also one more question, Will the female stop bleeding 1 or 2 day after the mate? Or will then continue to bleed thru their heat?

• Laura says:

Did you count the days from active bleeding to breed or was it from swollen vulva I’m using a stud so findin difficult as 2 breeders are telling me different stages to count from both saying 11-14 days but one is a week longer stage?? My breeder says chi will continue with normal heat bleed for 3 weeks but swollen nipples and genitals will stay throughout pregnancy ๐Ÿ™‚

27. Kacie says:

Ok I did notice that my little Chihuahua did go thru the Proestrus stage, she started biting at my male dog and giving him no time to rest and just played a little aggressive at most times, then about a week later on a Sunday she started the Estrus stage, she started bleeding, licking and her mood changed, today is only Monday, a week after starting the stage and although she is still licking (a lot) and pulling her tail over to the side when you pet her and get close to her rear when you are stroking her back she seems to not be swollen anymore or even bleeding. Her other cycles she was swollen for a long period of the cycle but this time only after a week she is not so swollen. She also started Whining. My question is, is she already in the Diestrus stage? (even though before my male went very very crazy chasing her around and us getting no sleep at all keeping the two of them apart and now this time he seems to have no interest at all). Could it be possible that she is in this Diestrus stage? Is there a reason why she is not so swollen? Again she is still licking the area a lot but the bleeding seems to be not so bad this time like it has been in the other three times that she has been in heat before? I guess, is it possible she is still in the Estrus stage even though she seems not swollen but still licking the area? Please help…… Kacie

• dd says:

hello, Kacie and everyone.
      when your female dog is pulling her tail to the side and wanting him to touch her she is still in ready mode to breed.
      In stage one female will be snappy and not want anything to do with the male. she will be licking her self a lot all through the stages.
      Stage two to stage three her discharge will change color to straw color less red to light coloring to clear. at stage two she is ready to breed. at the end of stage 3 to stage 4 female dog will go down in swelling and mood with go back to normal the resting period.

If she did breed with male she will stop bleeding before normal ending time of previous heat cycles.
      she will be swollen for awhile but will go into beginning stages of preg. females do tend to show morning sickness become more cranky and sensitive a lot more to sounds and start guarding toys, food , kennel etc from male. she will nest soon if u see scratching at furniture like your fav sofa and burrowing in blankets making an round bed. *its important to encourage your pup to eat what ever she will if she will not eat the normal food you give daily. male will almost completely stop eat food and be only paying attention to the girl ever second of there time. for me kacia, its the opposite my male pup (papllion 3yrs is the one bugging my chihuahua mix girl all the time and not letting her sleep much. female pups can have false preg cycles as well like she will show all the signs but not the swollen tummy or milk or just no puppies but all the other signs are there. false preg last three weeks or more then female pup goes back to normal mood etc. hope this helps you guys.

28. Linda says:

Can a female be mated with brother or father

29. janet says:

My female chihuahua is now 18 months old and she hasn’t come on heat. Haven’t had any bleeding she is always clingy and affectionate and sleeps quite a lot normally. Do they bleed noticeably? Could I have missed it? I am very worried something is wrong though she seems healthy enough and happy. I am concerned about crating her if she bleeds as she will get very distressed but she has been used to sleeping in our bedroom (cream carpets). Where can I get good fitting doggy diapers? Any info greatly appreciated.

30. Janet says:

My female pomchi(Pomeranian/chihuahua is 9 months old. I noticed one day that she had 2 drops of blood around her uthrea area. When I took her outside she peed a couple of times! I right away thought she might have the early stages of Urinary Tract Infection but the 2 most common things for a UTI- crying when urinating, and blood in the pee… My dog doesn’t have either! So how can I tell if my dog is in her first heat OR A UTI?? She is not acting sick she is still her happy playful self?? So is it normal for a puppy in heat to pee more then often?

31. Carolyn says:

Rita. I hope this helps. Our dog was doing the same thing. She was peeing in front of the cabinet doors under the sink in the kitchen. Then I noticed that she was being behind the living room door. Then She started peeing on the couch! Come to find out that we had a mouse in the house and marking her territory. We caught the mouse and that was the end of that. But before all this she was barking alot at night to. She was just letting us know there was a mouse in the kitchen. Hope this helps Carol

32. maralane says:

My chihuahua is on heat, she never leave her fluffy toy for a moment I must feed her she just lie in her bed with the toy. Must I take the toy away.

Thanking you
    Maralane

33. Karen says:

It could be her heat, I just lost my 18 year old Chihuahua to cancer. In her earlier years I would put her in a crate(cat carrier) with a blanket and a small amount of water at night. Just for her heat cycle. And only at night. You may want to check with her vet, as it could be a UTI infection. Another option if you don’t want to crate her,(crate training) is put her water up around 7:00p.m. and don’t feed or water until morning. Be sure to take her out a few times before bed. This works well for my new Chihuahua.

34. maria says:

I too have a female chihuahua cross and she is going into the third stage of her first heat – she had and still has occasional loose stools and seemed aggressively playful with a male buddy who came to visit, thankfully in earliest stages of her heat! and now she is calmer and while still swollen is as playful as before.. even if more interested in males of all species ๐Ÿ˜‰ good luck everyone with you chi’s! they are precious!

35. maria says:

for the pee on carpet you might want to try using plain old white vinegar as it takes the scent out and they tend to avoid the area after that! the scent is drawing her back each time to add her scent freshly and maintain her territory…..my Daughter states that using baking soda first then the vinegar and cleaning it away after works wells too…. good luck!

36. colleen foglesong says:

Our 8.5 month Chi, Bella just started her heat cycle a week ago. She has been het same old self. We have a 11 yr old yellow lab and has been acting the same with him as she was before going into heat. We have noticed her vagina has gotten swollen and looks so much bigger. We haven’t really been able to diaper her due to her being so small. She is 5 pounds. She doesn’t have a heavy heat cycle. A drip here and there. We have bathed her more and once I have seen more dried blood I have washed it and Bella hasn’t had any problems with me doing that. We want to het her spayed as soon as we can.

37. lori says:

hi my chihuahua is 8 yrs old and shes in heat now shes never had any puppies my question is can she still get pregnant at this age and also i have a 8 and a half month male chihuahua is it possible she could get pregnant with him i thought i read after 6 yrs they cant get pregnant i look forward to your answer i dont mind either way id keep the puppies if she did bt my main concern is that its ok for her if its healthy shes my special angel i want what best for her as well as my new little one weve added to our family its just them 2 i look forward to any input on any information you could give me thankyou

38. Robin says:

My chihuahuas are in heat but they never bleed just puffy and a lil cranky her and there is it normal for them to not bleed this is the second time for one and like four times for my other

39. Terri says:

I have a 5 year old Chihuahua. She had her heat and now a month later she is bleeding again, heavier when she was in heat. She is acting normal. Eating, drinking, playing. Not swollen anywhere.

40. Melissa Suggs says:

My Chihuahua is almost 2 She has only had 1 heat..It was really very mild…That was last Nov..She is starting to look as tho she is going into to heat again..But she is very clean and ive seen no blood. should I take her to the Vet

41. chrissy says:

is my 8yr old tea cup in pain, like cramps, from her heat cycle?? thanks for your help.

42. jessica says:

How often should a female go into season? I’m very curious. I have a female and two males. One of them cannot get her pregnant and the other one can. Should I separate them so the two can mate or what should I do. I would love to get a response on my email. thanks.

• ally says:

hi Jessica. They should go into heat twice a year. Since i have male dogs as well i try to mark on my calender at the first sign of her genitles starting to swell so i know when to expect her next cycle.

43. Elizabeth says:

PLEASE HELP!!!!
    My 10-month old Longcoat Chi, PoppyRose,
    started her very first heat cycle today.
    Although, she WILL be spayed as soon as she
    weighs enough that her vet and I feel comfortable
    putting her under general anesthesia(she’s very long,tall but skinny
    as a rail and a HORRIBLY picky eater!) in the
    meantime, can you give me a few suggestions
    that will emphasize to my family how very IMPORTANT it is to GO OUTSIDE WITH POPPY IN OUR FENCED YARD WHILE SHE’S in HEAT????(actually, ALL THE TIME would be great!! but I don’t expect miracles. LOL)
    I’m trying but everybody just lets her out by HERSELF where a large male dog could possibly impregnate her!!!
    I appreciate ANY HELP in ANY FORM!! From ANYONE!!!!
    Thank you very much!!!!
    ~Elizabeth

44. Aldrin Santos Gregorio says:

Can you help. My dog is a 3 years old female chihuahua i wanted to know if she still have heat? I just want an answer please send me a message my email is johnaldringregorio@yahoo.com thank you in advance.

45. Evie says:

Hello there….
    My chihuahua started her first heat cycle and it’s been two weeks and it looks painful. It’s pink And swollen. It looks like a giant strawberry. I’ve been bathing her n cleaning her.
    How long sbhould I expect this to last? I know it mentioned 30-90days? Please advice?

• Fancy says:

I guess no replies ????

• leanne says:

you dont need to bath her a part from what you would normally do, the swelling is normal and she should clean herself. My chi lasted for a month

• lenamartin says:

dogs heat cycle last about 3-9 weeks for the bleeding and i don’t know the rest my maltipoo is still in her first heat cycle. she started on her first birthday. the breeder we got her from said that with smaller dogs wait till they go through there first heat cycle to get her spaid though to prevent hip probems.

• Karen says:

A heat cycle lasts 3 weeks. Don’t keep cleaning her as you can make things harder on her. Let her clean herself, and she will be fine. Be careful of the soaps you use too. You don’t want to give her a UTI. She will go into her cycle every 6 months.

• Sassy J says:

Heat cycles normally last 3-4 weeks. Let her clean herself, she will be better at it than you are and depending on what you are cleaning her with, you could be irritating her greatly. Swelling is normal. She will gradually go back to her normal size when she is done.

46. GIna says:

Hi, my chihuaha is not urniating as normal while in heat. SHe has only goes twice a day now where she would go quite often. Is this normal??

• Sassy J says:

The reverse is normal. Normally a bitch in heat will pee a little here, a little there, and more over here… Might be time for a vet check.

47. Judy says:

Hey everyone hoping I can get my question answered, my chihuahua (lady) is pregnant 5-6 weeks. She is in good health and form but a bit cranky with my other chihuahua (teddy) he is the daddy to be. I’m wondering should I remove teddy from the home while she is pregnant? My mother wil mind him like the baby he is until puppies bornbut I know he will miss lady and my family terrible? I don’t know what is recommended? Does anybody have any ideas? Kind regards Judy

• Windy Lloyd says:

Hello, Judy:

He should be okay during the pregnancy. I’d temporarily remove Teddy after the whelp and let your mom take care of him for a week or two if he showed aggression toward the pups. Just my opinion based on my experiences, not professional. Good luck, my fellow Chi lover. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Nadine says:

Judy,
        Teddy should be ok around Lady during her pregnancy. She probably is not understanding why she is feeling the way that she doe’s yet but she will come around. I would watch to see if she becomes aggressive and moody when he is around. Teddy should also do fine when the puppies arrive, in most cases a chihuahua will have to get a scheduled c-section in order to have the puppies. Good Luck. I am sure that they will do fine and will take good care of the puppies when they arrive. Just be careful if You are going to put the puppies up for adoption. The male can be for aggressive then the female when it comes to separation.

• Sassy J says:

There is a reason female dogs are called bitches. The cranky heat can last throughout the pregnancy. Teddy will survive an extended time at grandma’s. It may ease some stress on your pregnant lady as well as you too.

48. Tracey says:

This is my first time owning a female chihuahua her name is may a and she’s 9 months old, the problem is that she’s started crying and has losses bowels and picking her parts a lot also very sleepy. Would you say this is the start of her being in heat?
    Any advice greatly received x

• Katy says:

I am guessing by now you should know if this was due to your chihuahua coming into heat. I found my female chihuahua has done the same, whilst she had me really worried with the loose stools, so was getting treated with chicken and rice, and I was just about to take her to the vets as it hadn’t cleared up after a few days, when she started bleeding. Now her stools are back to normal, unfortunately she is constantly crying at the front door, and trying to escape the back garden. Although I had already ensured that it would not be easy for her to get out under the fence, and definitely not over as it is 6ft high, it doesn’t stop her from trying, so can’t let her out of eyesight at all. Someone please tell me this won’t be continuously over the next 3 weeks!

• Sassy J says:

Sorry to you, but heats last 3=4 weeks. PUT HER ON A LEASH! Any time you are out. Eyes on her as she finds an escape route will not do you any good.

49. meaca says:

My dog is 6-8 months had her first heat cycle. Now there is no blood but her vulva s really swollen and she is very playful with my dashound what do I do.

• Sassy J says:

If the dashound is a male, don’t let them both out together. One or the other MUST be crated to prevent a tie.

• ally says:

Sounds like your pup is still in the first stage of her heat cycle. I have a 4 year old and she does the same thing to my terrier mix. This will subside afterva week or two when she enters the second stage.

• Michelle says:

Having this same trouble with my weenie dog, Oscar he is 9 and my Chihuahua, Bailey is a new rescue turned 1 in January. They are unable to fit her in to get spayed till mid April. Its quite crazy in our house. 3 weeks of this will be a work out. I do love my babies. We went through this with our Shelties too. ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ•๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ

50. Rita says:

Can you help. I look after a 3 yr old chihuahua dog,for some reason we dot t know but she has started peeing in the house at night.
    She has found a patch of carpet she now thinks is a loo
    I think she is just start to heat is this because of this and how can I stop her doing this
    Many thanks

• lenamartin says:

based on expirence you should try taking her out before bed and spanking her where she peed after putting her nose in it i know it sounds mean but it works. then after you spank her scrub the spot she peed on really well.

• Sassy J says:

I could be heat, but she would not just mark in one place. Restrict her water after supper, confine her to a crate at night and take her out to potty first thing when she is let out of the crate in the morning. Also, clean the area she uses as the loo with vinegar and water as hot as you can stand it. 50/50 ratio. You can rinse with 30/30/40 of vinegar/lemon juice/water to improve the smell for yourself and deter her.