How To Raise a Chihuahua Puppy

Raising a Chihuahua puppy inside your home is an exciting and memorable time that you're certain to never forget. Just the sight of these energy-filled balls of fur is enough to put a smile on anyone's face, regardless of what kind of day you're having. However, the decision to raise a Chihuahua puppy on your own isn't one that should be made lightly. You'll need to offer them a safe and healthy environment with everything they need for proper growth and development.

Newborn Chihuahua Puppy

Newborn Chihuahua Puppy

It's all too common for people to take Chihuahua puppies into their home based on their cute looks alone, without fully realizing just how much work goes into caring for them. As a result, the puppies needs aren't met and they are the ones who suffer from their owner's mistake. If you're willing to invest your time, money and energy into one, keep reading and we'll reveal how to raise a healthy Chihuahua puppy.

Bringing Your Chihuahua Puppy Home

Once you've found a Chihuahua puppy from a breeder that you simply can't live without, you'll need to first make some preparations before bringing them home, one of which is getting plenty of premium puppy food. While some veterinarians may recommend specific formulas, it's usually best to stick with the same type of food the breeder has been feeding them. When you're checking out new puppies, ask the breeder what they've been feeding them. Most breeders will even be more than happy to send some of the food home with you.

It's hard not to instantly fall in love with a cute Chihuahua puppy, but you have to refrain from taking them away from their mother too early. Doing so may increase their risk of developing certain health conditions, and it also places unnecessary emotional stress. So when is it okay to take a Chihuahua puppy away from their mother? There's really no one single answer to this question, as all puppies develop both emotionally and physically at different rates. A good rule of thumb, however, is to wait until they are 10 weeks old before bringing them home.

Two Chihuahua Puppies

Two Chihuahua Puppies

Here's a rough outline of what you'll need to do BEFORE bringing your Chihuahua puppy home:

• Pick up a bag or two of premium puppy dog food and two bowls (one for food and the other for water).
  • Create a safe and confined area where your puppy can roam, play and rest when you aren't there to watch them. Ideally, the area should have hardwood, laminate, tile or linoleum floors that are easy to clean, as your puppy will probably have some accidents here.
  • Purchase a soft bed and some blankets for them to snuggle up in. Puppies need the comforting feeling provided by blankets even more so than adults, so make sure you have a nice bedding area set up for them.
  • Unless you want all of your furniture and clothes chewed on, pick up a few small chew toys the next time you're at the pet store. Chihuahua puppies will go through a teething stage where they will have the desire to chew.
  • If you haven't done so already, start stockpiling newspapers to lay in your Chihuahua puppy's play area. This will help protect the flooring underneath by soaking up some of urine.

Scheduling Their First Veterinarian Visit

Once you bring your Chihuahua puppy home, you'll need to call and schedule their first veterinarian appointment. Don't just take them to the first veterinarian name you come across in the phone book or online, but instead call around and ask some of your friends and family members who they recommend. You want to choose an experienced, professional vet that's naturally good with animals. Once you've found one, call them up and tell them you'd like to make an appointment for your newly-born Chihuahua puppy.

During your pup's initial vet visit, they should administer a vaccination for the deadly Parvovirus. As you may already know, the Parvovirus is deadly viral disease that takes the lives of thousands of dogs each year. To make matters worse, it seems that puppies are at a greater risk to the Parvovirus than older dogs. Once they come into contact with it, the virus spreads to the intestinal lining where it feeds on the living cells, causing diarrhea, weakness and dehydration. Thankfully, this virus is easily preventable through a series of vaccinations administered by a vet.

Of course the veterinarian should also perform a thorough checkup and inspection to see if there's any medically-concerning issues with them. Typically, this consists of checking in their ears for mites, in their coat for fleas, and making sure all of their bones have developed properly. While you're at the vet, be sure to talk to them about follow-up vaccinations, as your Chihuahua will need several more sets in the months to follow.

Black Chihuahua Puppy

Black Chihuahua Puppy

Potty-Training a Puppy

If there's one thing you can count on with a Chihuahua puppy it's that they are going to have accidents. No matter how many times you take them outside or keep them cooped up in their crate, there will be times when they use the bathroom inside the house. Don't punish or scold them for this behavior, but instead use it to teach them the boundaries of what's acceptable and what's not. When your Chihuahua puppy has an accident inside the house, say โ€œNo,โ€ and immediately take them outside for a couple minutes. Even if they don't use the bathroom while they are outside, they will still begin to associate being outside with using the bathroom.

When you finally see your Chihuahua puppy do their business outside, be sure to give them lots of praise followed by a small treat. Positive reinforcement goes a long ways with training a Chihuahua puppy, and it will essentially be your most important tool. If they are having a problem using the bathroom inside, try to confine them in a room or area of the house where they can't escape from. Puppies like to sneak away to do their business where their owners can't see, so you should take this option away from them.

56 Responses to “How To Raise a Chihuahua Puppy”

1. Charlotte says:

#confused….
    I’m due to get my 8 week old puppy soon… I’m really prepared for her… but I’m I’m little to confused with the whole potty training thing… so many websites say Dont use training pad… to take the pup into the garden.. but then other websites say the puppy not allowed outside untill she has had her second lot of jabs!!!…. if would rather try her with the garden then pads…. help!!

2. Nicole says:

I have a 10 month old female. We just moved in with my younger sister and 2 small boys. She’s not sure how to take them yet..but she’s not been wanting to eat much now..and she’s starting to lose weight. What can I add to her food to help pit a little weight on her

3. Doglover200 says:

Hi i really want a Chihuahua and i found the perfect one but my mom doesn’t like Chihuahuas at all is there a way I can convince her? Please help๐Ÿ˜“

4. Howard says:

I love my puppy 5 months old I taught her to go outside to go to the bathroom and I have pads in the house and she still goes on the floor

5. Jackie says:

My moms Chihuahua is about 7 weeks old and was chewing on my zipper and I tried to move him off of me and was acting really aggressive. Has anyoneโ€‹ had a problem like that before ?

• julie says:

dog school – obedience training – your dog should react to the no command then when they’ve done good loads of praise – they love to please

• Dogwhisperor says:

My chihuahua is only 8 weeks and he may not be being aggressive he may just be playing around as they are very energetic pupies

• Candace says:

It happens alot try to traid the zipper in for a treat try most likely because he or she is teathing. Try peeling a carrot and put it in the fridge for 10 plus minutes it destracts them and works quite well โ˜บ. I have a chihuahua whom is 14 weeks old. When he ir she bites yell ouch and redirect her dont smack or scold.

6. Trevor Green says:

I am about to collect a Chihuahua puppy from a breader, l know l have to arrange one more injection. When can l take the puppy outside as l have been told there is a period of time before he can go outside

• Hi Trevor,

It’s generally recommended that you wait until at least 2 weeks after your pup’s second set of vaccinations before taking him outdoors in public. See our vaccine schedule page for more information about which vaccines your Chihuahua needs and when.

• julie says:

after the 2nd vaccination and make sure it includes lung worm which can be fatal… you should be in contact with a vet at this stage and they should be advising you really. they’ll still need to be wormed and receive vaccine for lung worm…my vet offers a deal pay monthly about a tenner and it covers all vaccines and nail cutting. I get a monthly drop to put on my chi – it covers lung worm and fleas/parasites/worming. He doesnt feel good for a day but essential to protect them. I lost a dog years ago because it was under vaccinated – its a real risk. also make sure you’ve spoken to vet about kennel cough – its on the rise and again very unnplesant – outbreaks around the country. Your dog shd also be micro chipped – make sure its all done with a good vet,

7. Griselda. Ramos says:

How do I potty train a 7 week baby girl?

• julie says:

puppy pads – as soon as they get up make it a regular time/routine take them to the pad – as soon as they eat – take them to the pad – once they do their business praise them well.. if you see them doing it elsewhere – pick them up ad take them to the pad and say no firmly – but not aggressive or threateningly and praise them afterwards Mine was totally puppy pad trained at 8 weeks – I can count the accidents hes had on one hand and still have fingers left over free!!!- its all about regular routine really

• Candace says:

Put out mats and when she pees on floor directly take her out side for 5 or so minues or so it helps alot

8. Waldina says:

My chi is 9 weeks old been home 3 days I want to get her not to cry if she doesn’t see me I did not sleep the first night second a little better tried to put her in her crate when she sound asleep she slept hour but she cries so now she been sleeping with me but I know before she gets too too spoiled what to do? I am starting to make her own little place no problem potty training very few accidents suggestions

• julie says:

i bought one of those SnuggleSafe Microwave Wireless Heatpad with Fleece Cover – check them out on ebay or amazon – heat that up in micro – without cover put it in a bed in his/her crate (I bought a fluffy cave bed so he gets to hide in it… warm the bed without the cover on for 5 miuutes – (dot let the dog go into the bed at this stage without the cover on the heatpad or he will get burnt they get very hot..thenn put the heat pat in cover by side of bed or remove it – the beds toastie for the dog – you can add a very small blanket which he uses inn the day to lay on so he has his scent and he should love going to his own bed after that. If you’ve broken him into going to your bed he may cry once or twice but use the nno command and tell him/her theyre a good boy and its bed time and you should have no trouble. Some people say put a clock nearby (not in the bed) ad the tickings supposed to mimic the mothers heart beat – worth trying mine didn’t bother with it ๐Ÿ™‚

• Carol Breitbach says:

I use a gel microwaveable hot pad that is first put it in its cover, then a small blanket that I had the breeder rub on mama before I took the puppy home and call it her “puppy”. She snuggles up to it and sleeps in her kennel towards the lower half of our bed. Also when she wakes up in the middle of the night, we get her back to sleep by playing folk songs. She loves the music, and settles almost immediately. We’ve had almost no problems with her sleeping at night, even on the first night. We all slept almost the entire night.

9. Vivian says:

I have a 2 week old female chihuahua and no mother it was abandoned any advice can it survive?

10. Amber says:

I just picked up a little girl her mother died and she is only 1 to 2 weeks old any idea of what kind of milk is best for her

11. Robyn appelbe says:

I’m getting a Tea-cup Chihuahua { female } tomorrow but I also have 3 other dogs and I don’t know how to introduce her to them. 1 is a chihuahua { male but he is neutered } the 2nd one is a jack russel x with a chihuahua { female but she is very loving and loves puppies } and the last one is a pug x Boxer { female} But she is quite boistrios.

Please someone tell me how i would introduce them ๐Ÿ™

Regards, Robyn Appelbe.

12. Tammy says:

I have a puppy whose 3 months old, and am having a difficult time potty training. She does go outside, but when shes in the house, she goes where ever she wants to. I have potty pads, she sometimes uses them. I have a yorkie who is 13 years old, that uses potty pads, as well and goes outside. Any ideas?

13. Debs says:

Hi I’ve just had a 8 week chihuahua male and he wasn’t keen on eating but I know this sounds horrible but I put the food in my hand and then guided him to the bowl and now he’s getting the hang of it

• Robyn appelbe says:

Don’t worry, he will learn. It was the same with my little boy, Charlie. He was a devil for not eating. I did that for 1 week and praised him when he came over. Just don’t push him over or he will be scared of you.

14. mary says:

I Just got a little girl at 6 weeks old Chihuahua. We love her now she is 12 weeks. How long will it take to potty train her. She poops in the house and I take her outside all day. What is the norm? How old will she be?

15. Debra Honeycutt says:

I just bought a 6 week old male chihuahua and I feel like he was taken away from his Mother way to soon.I can’t get him to eat or drink….Any suggestions of how to get him to eat would be appreciated …Thanks

• Lisa says:

This is not normal at all. Take the puppy back to the breeder immediately or to a vet. It has been more than a month since this post. I hope you did something right away.

• Chloe Howard says:

Hi Debra! If he is not eating, the best thing to do is rub a bit of honey on his tongue so he still gets a bit of nutrition until he perks up and starts eating ๐Ÿ™‚

• Janet says:

Go to the grocery store or Walmart & buy a can of powdered Goats milk , it is the closest thing to their mothers milk that is what I did for my chi. & they love it. then either make it in a baby’ s bottle or put some a little at a time in a lid of a jar . First put a little on your fingers & put to their mouth , trust me they will start eating it .

• Coco says:

You will need to ask the vet for advice. My mother is a breader of chihuahuas and they should never be taken before at least 8 weeks.

16. Neilia says:

I actually have a long hair female Chihuahua, 5 months old. She is a stinker, but we all love her unconditionally, however, she yaps non stop, potty’s everywhere inside. She can be outside 2 hours, come inside and potty. I live on 2 acres. She will not come when I call her name and whenever she sees me, she runs and I just can’t catch her, I finally cave in and say, Polly want a treat? She comes in immediately. I know this is not training. Please offer tips for me, Thanks

• Tamra nelson says:

We have a six month old long hair chihuahua and are having the same problem.
      We love her so much but I’m exhausted trying to
      Train her.

17. Jasmine says:

I have a puppy chihuahua and hes only three weeks old the mother didnt fed him all the time the mother was getting to skinny and wouldnt pay any attention to him i took it as 3 weeks old and im wonderin if it was to early for me to take him home i bought him formula milk he drinks it fine i feed him every four hours i just need advise and what to do ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜ฅ

18. raymond says:

Can’t seem to choose between male or female baby chihuahua. Any advice?

• maria says:

if the person that is getting the dog is a boy then get a girl if it is a girl is a boy it will be more attached that way

19. dezi says:

I was just sending this page to a friend because she will be receiving 1 of the 6 baby Chihuahuas that my dog had… I love these dogs considering I’ve had three, I hate to see the puppies leave because I noticed they tower on one another to sleep and they play so well, I’m really sad that they are going to be sad, but the good thing is I’m giving them to people I know and see often, so I can make sure they will be fine….sincerely I’m going too miss them babies……

20. Star Combs says:

Thanks so so much for this web site and this helped so, so much from me and my chihuahua, Chico!!!:)

21. Donna says:

I have a female and male chihuahua..My female gets this rash during the hot months but it goes away in the cooler months..I have had her to the vet and they gave her meds for yeast but it does no good..So I was just wondering if this might a trait in Chihuahuas.She had a litter of three pups a month ago and one of the pups was born with it also..

22. Alyssa says:

Hi there! I just purchased a Chihuahua puppy & I am so excited! He will be around 9 weeks when I get him on the 3rd! He is being ground shipped to me from Oklahoma. I was just curious if I should bathe him when I get him home (since he may go to the bathroom on his way here)?

• Gina says:

Hi Alyssa,

I came across this website seeking information on how to care for a Chihuahua puppy.

I noticed you purchased your Chihuahua from Oklahoma, I also just purchased my Chihuahua too from Oklahoma and she will be 9 weeks and will arrive next week in time for my birthday. I am super excited!

Can you tell me a little bit of what to expect for after a flight ? I have purchased Nutri- Cal for possible Hypoglycemia and also Royal Canine (breeder has been feeding her this brand)

Also, did you bathe your Chihuahua once you got him home and how was potty training?

I also wonder if we both purchased our Chihuahua’s from the same kennel.

Would love to hear from you…

~ Gina

• Demetre says:

Hi I wanted to know where you purchased your Chihuahua from I’m looking for a reliable person or company that sells them with there vaccine shots and stuff.

• Robyn appelbe says:

Good Idea and he may have fleas, bactairia or worms on/in him.It will be better for u and him.De-worm , bathe and check him for fleas.

23. Jessica says:

Chihuahuas small ones kick there back legs to pop them back in place small miniature Chihuahuas have quit a few problems full size Chihuahua’s that I have seen doesn’t my moms got the full size chihuahua I have got a miniature Chihuahua her legs are bad an she is years old

24. georgia says:

I don’t have a Chihuahua but I would love to have one. My brother wants one two we want 1 girl and 1 boy. But my dad does not want one are they quited and were do you buy them Vicki.

• Chihuahua Wardrobe says:

Hey Vicki,

I would call around to some of the local animal shelters in your area and ask if they have, or know of anyone, with Chihuahuas up for adoption. Most shelters and rescues connect with one another, so you can typically find Chihuahuas by calling around. Hope that helps!

25. vicki says:

Why do these dogs always kick their back feet before they take a poop? Other then that I have a very smart female. No problem potty training her at all, but when she was a pup I would take her out every 2 hours. Now she sleeps all night. She is 13 months old…..

• Chihuahua Wardrobe says:

Hey Vicki,

Dogs kick their back legs to help mark their territory. Like cats, dogs have scent glands on the bottom of their paws, so kicking the ground essentially tells other dogs that this area is their territory.

• Rita Shatley says:

I have a 6 month old chihuahua. I got her at 3 months old. She is in process of potty training and does ok except for still frequent accidents. The problem I have now is that she nips at me constantly I know she just wants to play. I try to play with her as much as I can but this is getting to be a problem. How do I stop it? I say no and push her away but she keeps at i . Help!

• Hugo says:

Its teething, just get a chew toy. I got mine a rope toy from the pet store, cost like 8 bucks and she chews on that all day long

• Sara Sizemore says:

Hi Rita, my chihuahua, Ginger, did that to me. The second time, she brought blood. I bit the tip of her ear, just enough to make her yelp, and it broke that nasty habit immediately. Never did it again. 5 weeks when I got her, she’s 6 years old now. Color of spice ginger, and she has green eyes.She’s my baby.!!

• Victoria L Lake says:

I totally agree with you Vicki with one addition, these little guys have very big egos whether they are boy or girl doesn’t matter. I have a deer chihuahua and she really kicks it up. I just bought a teacup chihuahua, she is twelve weeks and she is already got it going on. Big personality’s in those tiny bodies.