Deer Head vs Apple Head Chihuahua: What’s the Difference?

Deer head vs apple head Chihuahua

Chihuahuas are often referred to as being either "deer head" or "apple head," depending on their appearance and physical characteristics.

It's a common assumption that deer head and apple head are official varieties of the Chihuahua. But if you read the breed standards for the Chihuahua, you won't find them listed as such. The American Kennel Club (AKC), Canadian Kennel Club (CKC) and United Kennel Club (UKC) recognizes only long coat and smooth coat (short coat) varieties. They do, however, call for a well-rounded "apple dome" head. So, what are deer head and apple head Chihuahuas and how do they differ?

Deer Head and Apple Head: What Does it Mean?

"Deer head" and "apple head" are unofficial terms used to describe a Chihuahua's appearance, particularly in regards to his muzzle and facial structure.

• Apple head Chihuahuas have a round apple-like head with a 90-degree angle where the muzzle joins the forehead.
  • Deer head Chihuahuas have a longer deer-like head with a sloped junction of approximately 45 degrees where the muzzle joins the forehead.

There are other differences between the two (see below for a complete list), but you can usually tell a Chihuahua's type by looking for these characteristics.

Somewhere throughout the Chihuahua's history, the breed separated into two variations: the apple head and deer head. We don't when this genetic evolution occurred, nor do we know how. Pre-Columbian artifacts discovered in Central America depict small dogs with both apple and deer-shaped heads, suggesting this evolutionary split occurred before the Europeans discovered the New World.

Some breed experts theorize that a small ancient dog known as the Techichi is the Chihuahua's true ancestor, while the deer head variety is a cross between the Techchi and the Chinese Crested. Others believe the Techichi is the deer head's true ancestor. Regardless of how it happened, there are now apple head and deer head Chihuahuas.

The Apple Head Chihuahua

Apple head Chihuahua

The apple head Chihuahua is named after its apple-shaped head, which is noted in the breed's standards.

Apple head Chihuahuas can have a smooth coat or a long coat in any number of colors or color combinations.

Here are some of the characteristics of an apple head Chihuahua:

• Apple head Chihuahuas feature a prominent 90-degree angle (known as a stop) where the muzzle meets the forehead. This juncture should essentially form an "L" shape, indicating an apple head. This is the most distinguishable feature of an apple-head Chihuahua.
  • Apple head Chihuahuas have shorter jawlines than deer head Chihuahuas.
  • They often have shorter necks than deer head Chihuahuas.
  • The AKC specifically mentions the apple-like facial features in its breed standards for the Chihuahua.
  • Due to their apple-shaped skulls, apple head Chihuahuas tend to have more prominent and expressive eyes.
  • Apple head Chihuahuas have a stout, "cobby" body featuring short legs relative to their body length.
  • Nearly all apple head Chihuahua puppies are born with a molera or "soft spot" in their skull. This cranial opening typically closes, however, by 3 to 4 months of age.
  • Apple heads are the only type of Chihuahuas that can compete in the show ring.

The Deer Head Chihuahua

Deer head Chihuahua

Also living up to its namesake, the deer head Chihuahua has facial characteristics resembling that of a young deer's face. If you look at a young deer's face, you'll notice they have a long muzzle, large ears and a sloped forehead, which are characteristics of this breed variation.

Deer head Chihuahuas are also found in both smooth and long coats. While coat colors vary, fawn is the most common.

Deer head Chihuahuas are just as popular, if not more popular, than apple heads. The Taco Bell dog, Gidget, was actually a deer head Chihuahua. During her 8-year career with the national fast food chain, she was responsible for introducing this breed to millions of Americans. Gidget was the first Chihuahua many Americans had ever seen. Her adorable appearance and fun-loving personality skyrocketed the breed's popularity through the late 1990s.

Here are some of the characteristics of a deer head Chihuahua:

• The muzzle of a deer head Chihuahua is longer than an apple head's.
  • Instead of a 90-degree angle, deer head Chihuahuas have a slope where the muzzle meets the forehead. You can feel for this slope by gently running your index finger from the tip of your Chihuahua's nose up to his skull, which should reveal a gradual slope of approximately 45 degrees.
  • This variation typically has longer legs, resulting in a taller body height without the "cobby" appearance of an apple head Chihuahua.
  • Deer head Chihuahuas have larger ears, which like its apple head counterpart, also remain erect and upright once fully developed.
  • Deer head Chihuahuas often have longer necks.
  • They also have a longer jawline than apple head Chihuahuas.
  • Because they are not recognized by the AKC as an official variety, deer head Chihuahuas are disqualified from participating in conformation dog shows.
  • Moleras occur in deer head Chihuahuas, though the condition is more prevalent in apple heads.
  • Fawn is the most common coat color for deer head Chihuahuas (see images of deer head photos above).
  • Deer head Chihuahuas are often larger than apple heads, weighing more than the standard six pounds as defined in the AKC's breed standards.
  • Whether true or not, some owners claim deer head Chihuahuas are less aggressive.
  • It's also believed that deer head Chihuahuas have fewer health problems.

Only Apple Head Chihuahuas Meet Breed Standards

Neither the AKC nor any other major canine association distinguishes between apple head or deer head Chihuahuas. The breed standards for the Chihuahua require "A well rounded 'apple dome' skull, with or without molera." Other variations of the head, including the deer head, are not allowed.

Upon hearing this information for the first time, many owners assume their deer head Chihuahua isn't a real Chihuahua. If a Chihuahua doesn't meet the AKC's breed standards, conventional wisdom may lead you to believe he's not an actual Chihuahua, right? Not necessarily. You can still have a purebred Chihuahua without the characteristic apple-shaped head, and you can still register him with the AKC, assuming he's a pedigree whose parents are also registered. However, he won't win any ribbons for showmanship at conformation shows like the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, the National Dog Show, the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, or Crufts since he doesn't meet the breed standards.

Breed standards created by the AKC and other canine organizations are used for judging dogs at conformation shows. If a competing dog fails to meet the standards for his respective breed, judges will automatically disqualify him from receiving the championship title. Spayed or neutered dogs are also disqualified from competing in conformation shows, regardless of whether they meet their respective breed's standards.

The bottom line is that deer head Chihuahuas are real Chihuahuas; they just won't win points or championship titles at conformation shows. The same can be said for Chihuahuas weighing over six pounds, which is also grounds for disqualification.

Should the AKC Recognize Deer Head Chihuahuas?

Being that they are so common, there's a strong argument that the AKC should acknowledge deer head Chihuahuas as a variation of the breed -- and this wouldn't be the first time the organization has done so.

In 1936, the AKC separated the English Cocker Spaniel into two varieties: the traditional English Cocker Spaniels and the American Cocker Spaniels. A decade later, they revised the standards again to include the American Cocker Spaniel as a separate breed (only dogs of different varieties can be interbred, not breeds). While similar in appearance the American Cocker Spaniel is shorter than its English counterpart and found in more colors. American Cocker Spaniels are also "showier," with less instinctual drive to chase prey.

1952, the Chihuahua Club of America (CCA) -- the official AKC parent club for the breed --revised its standards for the breed, separating the Chihuahua into long coat and smooth coat varieties, the latter of which was preferred as pets. More than half a century later, breed standards created by all of the major canine associations recognize long coat and smooth coat varieties. Perhaps we'll see similar action taken by the AKC in the near future, acknowledging the deer head Chihuahuas as a separate variety.

Can My Chihuahua Have Characteristics of Both Apple Head and Deer Head?

Absolutely! Many Chihuahuas are born with, or later develop, characteristics of both apple head and deer Chihuahuas. A Chihuahua with a perfectly found apple-shaped dome may feature the longer muzzle and larger ears of a deer head variety. Or a Chihuahua with the sloped muzzle of a deer head may feature the apple head's cobby body.

Furthermore, don't assume that breeding two apple head Chihuahuas will result in a litter of all apple heads, or vise-versa for deer heads. When breeding two Chihuahua of the same variety, there's always a chance that one or more puppies in their litter will be the opposite variety.

In Conclusion...

Unless you plan to compete your Chihuahua in a conformation show, don't worry about whether he's an apple head or deer head. While there nuances between these two varieties, both exhibit the breed's fierce, confident and fun-loving personality.

Is your Chihuahua an apple head or deer head? Let us know in the comments section below!

135 Responses to “Deer Head vs Apple Head Chihuahua: What’s the Difference?”

1. Anthony says:

R.I.P. Gidget

2. Vicki says:

I rescued a deer head 3 1/2 years ago after one of my dogs passed unexpectedly. I never would have thought of getting a small dog but Noni was great with my beagle that needed a friend.
    They have been best buddies ever since. She is such a cuddlier and gives extra love when I am feeling down or sick.

3. LadyJayne says:

I have both….
    Deerhead is red/brown
    The Applehead is black/tan..
    Adopted together from pound…

4. Shelby says:

I have a apple head mix with deer head chi try to figure out if he got more deer or Apple head ?? Thanks

5. Emily says:

I have a deer head chihuahua, he is 6 years old and 3 pounds. He’s very small but also an asshole. Relatively aggressive and territorial, and pees everywhere all the time. I still love him.

6. Teresa Morgan says:

Thank u so much some one put this on Facebook because a lady wanted to see what kind she had and this is really helped me.

7. Tracy says:

My “chi-human” is a deer head and the absolute best dog, er, human you could ever ask for. He’s extremely affectionate and wants to be with me all the time. He mimics human behaviors ando it fascinates me to watch him. I have to cook his food bc he refuses to eat anything unless he sees us eating it too. It’s amazing how smart he is. 🙂

• Barbette says:

My chocolate “Truffles”, acts so human I would swear she is too. She is My Angel and while I still can’t believe I own a chihuahua, I have watched her claim the hearts of some of the Only Big Dog owners over and over. She is my constant companion and literally will make men, women, children and anyone who will say hi in a store stop to pet her. Most want to hold her. To say they have personality is truly an understatement, at least for My Princess. She is so playful, loving, affectionate, very well behaved, rarely has accidents, always wants her genitalia clean when finishing her business as well as her poopy bottom and waits to be cleaned every time, she can be taught something in mere minutes and that is not something I have seen in any breeds. She is truly My Last Child… thank goodness my son and other daughter are animal lovers and totally understand and Truffles 33 year old sister named her. Thanks for sharing your story. I now know others have the same precious baby’s as me.

• Cat Decaire says:

It’s awesome that you socialized your pup. I too have only ever had large dogs and never thought I’d own a chihuahua. MIA and MONDO are very friendly and clean. We puppy pad trained them and they nail it every time. When ever they are skip or had a poop stuck to their fur they will not move away from the puppy pad tip we clean them. I taken to washing their faces,feet and bootys daily. I brush their teeth twice a week. They are my babies and the grandchildren adore them. They sit them at their house when we are away and will take them forever if anything ever happens to us. Best edgy.

8. Andrew Boydston says:

I have a Dear headed Chihuahua. We’ve had her for six months and she has yet to bark even once. Once she growled in a low tone at someone coming home late one night. She is all love 24/7 as she likes blankets, laps, and kissing faces. She cannot be without a family member at home to companion with if others leave to work.

9. Trisha says:

I have adopted an apple head I think he was at least a year old, his previous owners mistreated him (they only wanted the puppy stage ) apparently he had to fend for himself and ran loose all over town ,when I got him he was timid and even scared of doggie toys I had bought him,he knows now what LOVE is, he is the sweetest, cutest little guy I love him so very much, I guess you could say we found each other we make each other happy.

• Eirlys Goode says:

Like you Trish I adopted two girl chi chi’s last autumn. They ware supposed to be 6 and 7 years old. The female who brought them had no papers at all – said they were her mother in law’s dogs. She promised to send them on but nothing so far. I needed to know things like when they were last wormed etc. I inquired about a lead and harness or collar but was told they have never been walked. Also assured me that the older one was never used for breeding but she has a green tattoo in her ear!

At 7pm every night it was like a switch was tripped and they just went to sleep. Frightened of all people at that time. Never responded to being fussed. Now they have learned how to be ‘proper’ dogs they are completely different – lots of licks and love to be cuddled. Can’t get them used to a lead though, they seem petrified when they see one. But at least they are now living life as real dogs and have learned what it is to be loved. Got to lose some more weight yet. From the photos at the top of this page they look like Deer Heads and I love them to pieces.

10. Lori says:

I have had my apple head chihuahua Rocco for almost 15 years. He has a perfect bill of health, a great temperament and loves children as well as other dogs and cats! My little “old man”, has brought so much joy to my life!

• Gayla says:

Lori so happy to hear this. I adopted an 11 week old Applehead. Chico will be delivered next week. I have educating myself online. Any good pointers for training and so forth much appreciated. Blessings, Gayla

11. Deborah says:

I have a applehead pretty baby girl. She loves everyone. She is 3.5 lbs. She wants to lick everyone that comes to the house. Her name is pee wee. She is 1 and 6 months old now. She is really smart and gets along with everyone and every dog. I couldnt live without her.

12. Jackie says:

I am so fortunate to have a little one that not only is loyal but protects me in my panic attacks depression episodes and anxiety episodes. He has not had any training but my doctor said he wants me to always have him with me because I am better when he is. So he is now registered and is always by my side. Love goes along way with this breed my apple head is forever my fur baby.

• lety says:

Hello Jackie I have the same problem of you panic attacks and anxiety episodes… actually I am a fortunate like you I have a little guy he’s name is Chico he is a deer Chihuahua, can you please tell me how I can register him like a service dog?

thanks..

• Bonnie says:

I also have a deer head. I love him with all of my heart. His name is DeeOGee. My husband picked the name out. I also suffer from depression and believe he helps me too. I want to get him registered. Please tell me how about doing it. The only thing that bothers me about having him, is my husband. He got the dog from his sons friend. He’s always saying he’s not my dog because he got him from his son. But he wants me to do everything. Feeding, bathe, and clean up after him. And he’s always telling me to stop picking him up. But the dog always wants to be with me. He doesn’t want the dog to sleep with me either. Very frustrating!! I haven’t had a dog in over 31 years and miss having one. I grew up with them being house dogs and sleeping with me. What to do??

• Gayla says:

Jackie this sounds wonderful! How do I regester mine to be with me all the time for my health. Thank you.

13. Natalie Henry says:

I’m the owner of a hyper, clever, obedient,intelligent and loyal deerhead chihuahua.

14. Dale Akers says:

We have a chihuahua-jack Russell mix named 6-volt & a deer head chihuahua named Srae, (ears spelled backwards), both are well behaved, although voltie is more vocal. They are the first small breed dogs we’ve ever had & wouldn’t trade either of them for the world!

15. Jacquline Hart says:

I have a deer chihuahua and she is the greatest animal and baby girl I’ve ever owned. She was super easy to train. She found me and adopted me. She was abused and abandoned by her 1st owns and thrown out of the car in front of my house she was about a year or 2 old when she came up to my back door and won my heart. She came along at a time I’m my life that I needed a best friend. They had cracked her skull and messed up her back hips. But you can’t tell it now. She is the best friend , listener, and giver of love that I’ve ever had. They are amazing dogs and I recommended this breed to everyone.

16. Jess Morton says:

Im the proud owner of a little, jealous, protective, loyal, clingy, spoiled Chiwawah named Gizzy. That my husband and I adore, he’s our child, literally! I would love to receive daily info on my bff♥♥~~ Thanks so much Michael, Jess, and Gizzy Danner

17. Retta says:

I have owned and bred chihuahuas for about 40 years. I’ve had mostly Apple head chihuahuas but had the occasional deerhead would crop up. I no longer breed them but I do currently have a gorgeous deerhead female that is 7 months old and a complete terror at home and a sweetheart in public. We joke about her being bipolar ever since we took her to local festival and she was super friendly and loving toward everyone that crowed around to pet her. Not once did she growl or bark even though we were in a huge crowd. The minute she got home she became the boss of the farm putting my 3 cats and my yellow lab/Rottweiler mix in their place and barking/ growling at everything that moved. Love that attitude!

18. Debbie Joy says:

I rescued an apple head Chihuahua and have had a lot of experience with toy breeds, but not this breed-she was extremely shut down, shivering under a chair, scared of the world. None of my usual tricks worked, so I finally thought to ask-does she have a buddy? Why yes, they replied, she has been inseparable from a puppy from another, younger, litter. The moment the little brindle deer head came wiggling and dancing through the door, the two of them started doing this hilarious happy dance. Of course, I rescued the buddy too-there is definitely a huge difference in temperament. The deer head is extremely social and loves all things, human, animal-anything. She is also easily bullied by a much smaller Papillon I have, she’s 12# to his 6#, but she’s just so gentle. The Apple head is a handful-she is very attached to me, much smaller and very cute, but she will nip anyone but me, pretty ok with other animals.

19. Shirley says:

I have one of each I love them both

20. Ashley says:

I took in a mom and pup, deer head, less than a week ago. Was told they were pure bred, but the pup looks almost chiweenie, she has phantom merle markings you can see in the outside light and I know that can be due to having dachshund somewhere in the blood line, Alice (the pup) has a bit of blue in one eye, and I noticed her mom Penny has just a very very slight ammount. Could they still have the possibility of being pure bred with the dachshund being bred out? No plan to breed just curious.

21. Patricia bush says:

I have a deer head little girl and she is adorable, very smart, and likes to woof at everything. Everybody loves loves her. She loves stuffed toys and jerky. I told my vet she doesn’t think she is a dog!

22. Mary Lynn says:

I paid 750.00 for an applehead chihuahua. The breeder assured me the puppy was an applehead. Do I have any rights? The puppy is a few months old now and is definitely a deer head.

• Me says:

I’d love to have another Deer head. I’ve lost both my Chihuahuas this year. Mouse was 19 and Moses was 15. broke my heart

• DeAnn Lynn says:

I have notice that there are a lot of Chihuahuas are up for adoption. Adopting a dog is the best way to go. Because they seem to know that their life is being saved. I will never buy a dog from a breeder again. I wish you the best of luck in finding your next Fur Baby. My dogs bring me so much happiness. They seem to know when I am not feeling well and will all lay around me. I can’t imagine not ever having a dog.

23. Jennika says:

I have both apple and deer head chi’s and have constantly had to defend my deer head as people keep saying she is a small foxie.

24. Cathy says:

Sheva, 6 years old, 3 pounds. Apple head and loves all people. She hates our female mixed, 6 pounds and All cats. She is vicious and will knock the huge cats down & eat them up. None of the cats attack her. As a pup of 10 ounces one cat did chase her. Just want her to not want to kill our little Bella. I flip her on her side and make her lay till she quits growling. I feel so mean but have no clue what else to do. Help us have a happier home. None of my dogs or cats will be given away ever!

25. Cat says:

Question: Is it possible that two apple head Chihuahua have babies that one is a apple head Chihuahua and the other one deer head Chihuahua because, their were only two in the litter! Someone please help me! I don’t understand it!

26. Darlene says:

I have a second hand apple head and she is the most sweetest dog . I inherited her from my daughter after she moved out and had to leave her behind. my daughter never trained her so she barked at everyone and every thing. I dont tolerate that so she now only barks when nessessary. She loves all people and a hollow leg… does’nt like strange dogs though. We have a bulldog , the bulldog thinks she is a chihuahua Im sure… they play together and wrestle all the time, every so often the bulldog forgets her size and the chihuahua promply reminds her by chomping on her lip. Then all is good again.

27. grafittylady says:

I have a dear head but he’s kinda funny lookin (never meet his parents) I just want to know why he us a smokey color (smokey is his name) with spots is he suppose to be like that also his eyes are outlined in yellow and filled with green if you wish to contact me for a pic it grafittylady.sm@gmail .com

28. Rhonda Taylor says:

I have a deer face who is short haired and the sweetest dog ever. My apple is long haired and definitely more aggressive. Caydee, long haired Apple, barks at everything. Lena the short haired, is the sweetest most passive chi I’ve ever had. I’ve had Lena since she was five weeks, and Caydee was an abused rescue which could be a big part of the different personalities. Love them. I’ve had chi’s all my life. They are a great, fun, and very smart breed. I’m hoping to have a litter in January, then get Lena ‘fixed.’

29. Chris K says:

We have an apple head Heidi and she is not aggressive only barks when she plays with our golden outside! She is so calm and loving – just the opposite of what is said of an apple head!

30. Kate says:

The photo you have on this article of a deer head chihuahua actually looks like a Jack Russell.

• Tanya says:

Darlene how did you train your dog not to bark unless necessary?
      I don’t get me dogs to stop barking and I’ve tried everything.

• Carol says:

I can’t get mine to stop barking either. She is really afraid of men help.

• lyn says:

When I got my little deer head, Kloe, she barked at everything. Then I heard on the pet show not to pay attention to her barking by yelling at her so we stopped & so did she. Now barks only when someone comes in the yard. I always tell her she is a good girl.

31. Laura says:

Just got two chihuahua puppies that are 14 weeks old. Told both parents are purebred chihuahuas. Seen the mom looks like she is purebred. Only dad has papers (don’t know dad dog). How do I get my puppies registered. Also how to tell is mine are apple-heads or deer-heads…Google pictures are hard tell difference. Also any other info on training welcomed. Thanks!

• Teresa says:

Unless both parents are registered (have papers), you cannot register the pups.

• Deborah T says:

You can register your Chihuahua with the Chihuahua organization(CKC) if you have papers on one of the parents and can prove your Chi is pure breed. I registered mine because her father lives in Mexico and they don’t keep track of dogs history. Now you can’t register with the AKC without both parents history.

• Belinda L Morrison says:

May not be so true. CKC registered my red noise pit terrier and I only had papers on her mom. Dad was full blood too but not registered. You just have to add photos of mom and dad to prove they were pure blood. You can also have blood work done to prove pure blood.

CKC also registered my two Chihuahuas both rescued from different homes so not related. One applehead one deerhead..(had to include pics of parents)…. but THEY WOULD NOT register my deerhead Chihuahua that was not pure blood. Her father was a Jack Russell terrier and you can tell her TEETH are the only thing that shows it. But I love her the same. 😀 I too would never part with any of my babies. So our family consists of 2 Quaker Parrots Bonnie and Clyde, one Diamond Dove name Joe (his mate Ruth died) one 11 yr old Red nose pit name Baby, a 5yr old applehead name LuLu,, a 2 yr old deerhead we just rescued a week ago name Princess Laya. I call her Lay Lay for short. And last but not least our 7 month old Ridge Back name Miya. ALL are rescued from bad homes. We just list one deerhead name Abby. She was only 5 but sickly from birth, also a rescue. We think she had seizures, but she was also poisoned when she was 2 and had to be in ICU @vets for 3 days from the poison. From there she went down hill fast. Vet gave her months to live, she lived another 2 yrs, but in the end she could not support her own weight of 2 lbs and couldn’t walk at all. We had to hold her to drink, potty, eat. Often had to mash up her food cause it would choke her. She was my husbands BABY she left a hole in his heart that could never be filled.

• Froggie says:

A deer head tends to have a head very much like a deer (female deer) & the ears are much longer as well as the nose. They are great travelers and are welcome in almost any place you care to go. They have a long life, upwards of 15+ years. They are extremely easy to train and make wonderful medical companions as well as being very intuitive to sensing when you don’t feel well or many other medical conditions. They are not a very typical small dog that is a “yappy” dog unless they are trained medical dogs to alert other people that you are having a medical condition or if you leave them alone for a few hours (3 or more). I have been raised my whole life around both apple and deer chihuahuas as my mother was a private breeder when I was born. I currently have a teacup deer who is my constant medical companion and goes with me every time I go out with the exception of Friday nights when I go out dancing. But when I get home she greets me with a small bark and lots of cuddling. She sleeps with her head on my shoulder and her bottom in my hand l. Her name is Duchess Brown Sugar because she is light and dark brown. If you want a beautiful, small dog, these are great!

32. Hope Hale says:

I’ve been told that Lindy my rescued chihuahua is a Mexican Chihuahua. She is long legged , has a long Snout, and her head isn’t Apple shaped, she has a arrow chest and long body. She was rescued from a kill shelter down south 2 days before she was to be put down. Lindy is now a therapy Dog, working at a residence for mostly People with memory loss. She also works with special needs children I do respite for and adhd kids I tutor. She is the sweetest calmest chihuahua I have ever had.

• Carla says:

A reputable breeder should have both parents registered. You register them from their paperwork. Chihuahuas and Pitbulls are the 2 most killed breeds in shelters. I sincerely hope you did not knowingly or unknowingly buy these from a puppy mill and sincerely pray you do not plan on breeding them.

• Belinda L Morrison says:

Yes they are VERY different breeds but not one came from a breeding mill. The pit was rescued when all her siblings started dying from parvo infestation. 11 total, she’s the only one that lived. Each of the 3 Chihuahuas were all from different homes that were infested with fleas, LOTS of other dogs and overall NOT A GOOD HOME FOR THEM. The Ridge back was rescued from a man that was about to put the litter down. He never wanted puppies and killed 4 out of the 7 pups. We found GOOD HOMEs for 2 of her siblings. ALL the dogs were taken to vet to be fixed because we don’t breed any ourself. Too many pets in the world already. Our 7 month old just got her 6 month shots and was fixed. We don’t get dogs to make more. We rescued these from friends and family members that could not care for them properly.

33. Lorraine says:

We have an apple head. He is definitely aggressive. We have a German shepherd whom is very, very patient with him. Max has nipped many people and will attack other dogs. When the door bell rings, he is in attack mode. He’s almost bitten me a few times as well. He also has the breathing difficulty from time to time as well. However, he is a good watch dog and after reading the difference between the apple head and deer head, next time I will definitely search out a deer head. Max is a rescue and I attributed his behavior difficulties to his possible negative past treatment. I now there is a difference. I believe in obedience training and have competed many times over the years for obedience titles and have also judged the performance of many breeds. It was always a pleasure to see a well trained Chihuahua in the ring. Max is my first Chihuahua, my husband had several prior to our marriage. I do love the little guy, I just keep working at his less than friendly attitude.

• Jade says:

Hello ,
      It’s so sad that people talk about pure breeds and and mixed breeds or pure breeds with out papers, who cares either way don’t you think that no one wants to send their puppy or dog to a shelter, no matter the breed. Are we not all dog lovers? Then what is the difference no dog should go to a shelter no matter there species or registration papers or lack there of. It’s so funny because breeders that are recognized by CKC or the AKC are the only ones that think they should breed dogs. They think they should choose who breeds and who doesn’t and what they breed, and they shun people that want to breed there American bull dog with their Rottweiler or something. I’m not a breeder but I don’t Saun people that want to breed there two loved animals so they can have a pup from there loved dogs as long as tehy are resistible and kind and caring and look after the health and well being.

34. Camille says:

I have a Deer head and I didn’t know it was a such thing until my husband found one while looking on Craigslist. It’s funny cause I always said he looks like a baby deer my baby is name Bear and he barks and growl.

35. ceejay says:

I have a little apple head she only weights 5 lb. and travels every where with me . She is my little service dog she is very smart . But they only thing I can’t change is she dislikes other dogs out side her family and she lives with a pit-bull and two other dogs , 4 cats and she just plays with them all.

36. Randall Lane says:

I have an apple head, she is not friendly to strangers and barks when she hears a noise even whenever the ice maker dump. She is very protective of my wife and me, she was potty trained in one week. She does not like outside and the smartest thing ever and love her so much

37. gabi says:

I STILL CANT DECIDE BUT IM THINKING APPLE HEAD

38. Joyce says:

Just received a deerhead from a couple that said they paid $100. for her but could not keep her. She is very loving and supposed to be 3 months old.

39. Donald says:

I own both an apple head and a deer head .. my deer head is the father(Matthew) my apple head is his daughter(pepper) .. Matthew is 2 1/5 had him since he was 2 months old .. self house broken by 4 months (I have never heard of animals house braking themselves .. until this one .. pepper i have had since birth .. the mother was also a deer head .. she had 4 puppies .. 3 apple heads 1 dear head .. pepper was fully pad trained/house broken by about 3 month .. I personally do not see an intelligence difference between the two breeds .. my two are the opposite both guard dogs but the apple head is generally the first to bark .. but as the guard dog bark .. if I’m walking them it’s the deer head that’s first ..(Matthew was my first small dog I have ever thought about owning now I don’t know what I would do without him .. or both at this point)

• Cathy, from Arnold, Ca says:

I own a 1 1/2 lb deer head. She is the most elegant and loving animal, i have ever seen. True words, I was in love with my German Shepard, who lived for 19 years. I never would find another “Rocky”. I have the honor, again, in my life time, to be “in love” with “little Miss Bunni”. Athletic and loves to chase birds. Soo cute. I find the Deer Head to be more intelligent and less aggressive. Loving.

• Stella says:

How big is your deer head (weight and height)?

• Chanden says:

O love. That puppie

40. catherine furr says:

have adeerhead and anapplehead, Mocha and cocoa, had 3 and let them out to potty and someone got my bigger one, they are sisters and will not go anywhere without the other one. Mocha the deerhead is very protective and barks at every thing Chocoa is the applehead and never barks at anything, they are very sweet and different but adorable.

• gloria foote says:

I have 2 Chihuahuas. One is a tri-colour and the other is said to bea grey. Ebony is 2 yrs old and is an apple head. She also has the molera which freaks me out to touch it sASHA IS THE RECENT ONE. I chose Sasha because she was the runt of the litter. Her sister was quite abit bigger. But i just looked at her and that was it. She is about 3 months old. She too has a molera, but it may close,dont knowBoth her parents are long haired. The father more so.
      I have found chihuahuas very easy to train. Sasha is almost completly toilet trained. She knows her name. She understands no. Come. Bed Toilet etc even play.There words i use all the timeand they have picked them up fast. Noone will ever convince me Chihuahuas are just silly lap dogs. Unless you take one into your home and love them you dont know what your missing. I can tell my chichi Ebony not to bark and she stops.I love my dogs that all i can say.Theyre small dogs but they have big hearts.