Choosing The Right Dog Food For a Chihuahua

Choosing a dog food for your Chihuahua isn't a decision that should be made lightly. Like all dogs, Chihuahuas have very specific nutritional needs that must be met through proper dieting. Unfortunately, most of the dog foods sold in pet stores and grocery stores fail to provide enough nutrients for healthy growth and development. While they may provide your Chihuahua a "full" belly, they don't offer the right balance of nutrients and minerals. If you're wondering what the best type of dog food is for a Chihuahua, keep reading.

Chihuahua Dog Food

Chihuahua Dog Food

Why The Right Dog Food Is Important For a Chihuahua

Many owners overlook the importance of a premium dog food for their Chihuahua. As you can expect, a good brand of dog food is naturally going to cost more money, which is why some owners opt to go with the cheaper types. The problem in doing so, however, is that cheap, low-quality dog food opens up your Chihuahua to a whole world of new health problems. You might save a couple dollars by feeding your Chihuahua a low-quality dog food, but you'll likely end up paying more in the long run for vet visits and healthcare.

Here are some of the most common side effects associated with feeding a Chihuahua the wrong dog food:

• Coat loses some of its color and sheen.
  • May suffer from tooth decay, tooth loss or other oral problems.
  • Weakened immune system leaves them more susceptible to disease.
  • Stunts their growth and development, causing them to grow at a slower pace than normal.
  • Leads to obesity and canine diabetes.
  • Increases the chance of food allergies.
  • May contain potentially life-threatening strains of food borne-illness, such as salmonella.
Corn

Corn

What To AVOID When Choosing Dog Food For Your Chihuahua

There are some common mistakes owners make when choosing dog food for their Chihuahua, one of which is placing their trust in brands sold at the grocery store. This can undoubtedly be confusing given the fact that some of these brands are labeled premium, but you have to carefully inspect any food you're thinking of purchasing and feeding to your Chihuahua. Even some of these so-called "premium" dog foods are loaded down with junk ingredients and filler products that offer little-to-no nutritional value when consumed. Does this mean that ALL premium dog foods sold in grocery stores are poor choices that should be avoided? Not necessarily, but you need to be cautious and not risk your Chihuahua's health based on the package labeling alone. Don't worry, we'll reveal what a good Chihuahua dog food needs to contain in a bit.

Another common mistake owners make is following the advice of their veterinarian. There are some ethical vets out there who enjoy helping people and the pets brought into their office, but there are others who are simply in the business to make money. If a vet recommends feeding your Chihuahua a type of dog food sold on their office premises, it's almost certain that they are getting a commission for the sale. I recommend that you politely turn down a veterinarian's offer to sell you dog food if it's available in their office, and instead look for a type elsewhere.

Here are some of the ingredients that should be kept to a minimum in a dog food for your Chihuahua:

• Food dyes.
  • Preservatives.
  • Filler products, such as corn and low-quality grains.
  • Corn gluten.
  • Wheat gluten.
  • Sugar.
  • Corn syrup.
  • Animal fat.
Cooked Chicken

Cooked Chicken

Things To Look For In Chihuahua Dog Food

Now that you know what to avoid in a dog food for your Chihuahua, let's take a look at some of the beneficial ingredients that you should look for. As previously stated, most of the "premium" dog foods gold in grocery stores are actually poor choices that don't offer the right balance of meat, vegetables and overall nutrition; therefore, they should be avoided. Instead, take a look at the dog food products sold in pet stores around your area. If there aren't any good choices here, you can always order your Chihuahua's food online, but you'll probably have to pay to have it shipped. Of course this is a small price to pay for your Chihuahua's health and well being.

The number one ingredient that dog food for your Chihuahua should contain is meat. Whether it's chicken, beef, fish or lamb, the dog food needs to have roughly a 40% meat content; otherwise, it's not going to offer enough protein to meet their needs. It might be hard to determine exactly how much meat a bag of dog food has, but you can read the ingredients label to get an idea. I like to see meat products listed in at least 3 of the top 5 ingredients, as this is a sign it's made with a substantial amount of meat.

The second most important ingredient a dog food needs to contain are vegetables. This is essentially where your Chihuahua will get the majority of their beneficial vitamins and minerals, so you'll want to choose a dog food with a good balance of vegetables and meat. Look for the more healthy vegetables labeled on the ingredients, such as carrots, peas, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini and broccoli. Regular potatoes are considered filler ingredients and should be avoided. These healthy vegetables should make up roughly 40% of the ingredients in a dog food as well. The remaining 20% should consist of starches like pastas.

Here's a short list of high-quality premium dog foods that are great choices to feed a Chihuahua:

• Artemis Fresh Mix
  • Blue Buffalo
  • California Natural
  • Canidae
  • EVO
  • Innova
  • Nature's Variety
  • Taste of the Wild
  • Timberwolf Organics
  • Wellness

178 Responses to “Choosing The Right Dog Food For a Chihuahua”

1. Jeanua says:

I have 2 tiny rescue Chihuahua.. brother and sister…. although they are related they have very different likes … George: Solid Gold Holistic Dog Food for Small & Toy Breeds, Dry and Wet with Superfoods OMG he goes nuts (Mighty Mini Chicken and chick peas) …… Gracie Stella and Chewy Turkey Meal Mixers which are tiny pieces soft and fluffy you can crumble or break in half… For Dry….. Big-Jac …. been around 65 years…. a 6lb bag is made with 5lbs of chicken… I leave the dry out.. its so light and easy to smash with your fingers.. very easy chew bites….. They also love Strawberries, Apples and veggies…

2. Bye says:

Stay away from Cesar. Family fed it to our Chi, along with a dry kibble from the vet which she rarely ate, and she developed a rare form of cancer. Might’ve happened anyway, but can’t help but believed it contributed to a much, much, much shorter lifespan.

3. Joyce Fontana says:

I’m having a hard time, trying to find good food, for Louie. He will be five soon. He itches so badly, he sheds terribly. He’s been on blue buffalo. I’m hearing bad things. I just had his teeth cleaned,he’s lost nine teeth. They say he has periodontal disease. What is the best ,natural food I can give him? I don’t want kibble that’s hard like rocks. Please help me, I’m lost. I’ve tried so many brands. Thank you.

4. Terry says:

There’s a picture of a poodle on these small cups of dog food it’s the kind my picky dog eats try that

5. Susan Reed says:

We feed our Patches fresh pet and Rachel Ray grain free. Are these all right for him

6. Mary says:

My two chihuahuas love Bill Jac dry food. Small pellets, so it is easy for them to eat.

7. Angelica Sanchez says:

My Chihuahua is 4 months old. I was feeding him Pedigree for puppies but was told he wasn’t getting the right nutrients so i switched to Eukanuba for puppies, he was eating it fine for the 1st month, but now i noticed he’s lost interest in the food and doesn’t really want to eat. I live in Puerto Rico and no PetSmart near me. What other brand can I feed PeeWee ( my chihuahua) is Beneful a good brand? Or was i doing ok with Pedigree? I mean he was eating it.

• Elaine says:

Stay away from Beneful it almost killed my 2 chihuahuas. Go to chewy .com. I feed my girls
      (Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Real Chicken + Sweet Potato Recipe Small Breed Dry Dog Food, 12-lb bag) Its around 39.00 a bag. Good luck.

8. helen easton says:

So glad its not only me that has a picky girl chihuahua. We are on our third diff food brand. Found she’s allergic to grains her skin goes red and her fur falls out so we were on Wainwrights grain free, she then decided after 6 months she no longer liked it. We are now trying Ava dried and canned. She’s still not keen and goes days without eating. I have thought of fixing home cooked chicken and veg but shop advised me against it. Also, as a side note, she won’t go to toilet outside, she holds it til we get home and goes on her puppy pad!

9. Mary Lou says:

My chi has lost lots and lots of hair. Had her on several big name foods. I just brought Royal Canine. The itching has started again. She throws up bile. She likes RC but is itching. Anyone else having similar problems.

• Linda B Franklin says:

Royal canine has corn. I use wellness core. I feed my 7 lb Chihuahua 250 calories per day. No grains.

• Libby Bar says:

My dog got sick from Royal Canin. I even tried the one that was marked specifically for Chi’s in both the dry and wet food. He really likes freshpet and I am going to go back to using Wellness now as a dry food. My little guy has a very sensitive suggestion and his favorite thing to eat is when I make chicken soup for him.

10. Niicolee says:

My dog oxy is really picky she’s only about 2 months I’ve tried almost everything what’s the best soft kibble or canned food y’all recommend?

11. Faye says:

My dog, Boo Girl’s (Or Stinky) absolute fave DOG FOOD is Cesar’s ๐Ÿ’– (Any) And you know if that dry food SMELLS after one week why would I feed it to her? Smells like something died – so no dry…
    Caesar’s smells good too! Not rotten like other dry food. I also mix in carrots or left over peas green beans from the table and I some times as a treat I give her a little scoop or finger of peanut ๐Ÿฅœ butter and brush it Around her bowl. She goes crazy. I give her animal cookies from PETCO… she can close lower cupboards doors (anything for a cookie ) but she won’t fetch…

• Destiny says:

My little dog loves Cesar’s as well. Unfortunately, she is now overweight and might have to have surgery on her knee ligaments. My vet says that Cesar’s is the equivalent of McDonalds for dogs… not very nutritious.

• Jeri says:

STOP feeding Cesars!!!!!! Get on NetFlix abd go to Documentaries…….Look at Petfood one. I was amazed. Look at indigredient labels……most of these dog foods have little or NO MEAT in them. I don’t know what to do now, I am researching……………………….. BUT I will go to grocery store and buy meat and fix it for them myself until I figure it out

12. Mark Howells says:

I have just brought a little chow 2 our family thank u all for the info I hope he’s not going 2b as fussy as some. Great info is what every owner needs

• Susan Bennett says:

I give my chi girl who is very fussy a cooked egg yoke 1 day and webboxs chicken sticks she absolutely devours them x

• Angelica Sanchez says:

Hi, I was told that mixing in eggs with their food is good for them especially for their hair. I haven’t tried it but I am.

13. Arkansania says:

My little chihuahua is not picky. I don’t get it. What I’m only saying is that,” Whoa, are Chihuahua’s supposed to be picky?” Mine isn’t. Is it unnatural that he’s not picky about what he eats and will eat vegetables without making a face?

14. Courtney says:

Hi my 13 year old Chi is throwing up her food all of the sudden. We’ve always done the same food brand and type. Lamb and Rice. And sometimes we mix in a bit of soft food with her hard food since almost all of her teeth are gone. And so we haven’t given her something she hasn’t had before. But I came home last night and she had vomited 3 times in my room and she had diarrhea a couples times today and then she was sitting in my lap and threw up 2 more times. Using her nose to try and bury it. She hasn’t gotten a hold of anything strange to make her sick or eaten grass. Any help would be great I’m starting to get worried.

• Karma Alexa says:

A week ago I found a Chihuahua in my driveway. I’m not sure what to feed Karma Alexa because she also threw up three times and also had diarrhea. We’re you able to get help for cortney.

15. Jeanie says:

The majority of popular dog food brands are safe to eat, but the healthier feeds would be the more natural “holistics” feeds (as with humans).

16. Po says:

I never thought of my dog as a picky eater, I guess I never thought dogs could be picky eaters! Someone told me that dogs likes peanut butter but not this Chihuahua aka Sage. She also doesn’t like to drink other people’s water unless it’s from her own bowl or straight out of my own bottle of water. I keep switching dog food on her. Not on purpose but because I think the product is better or healthier. Would anyone recommend a brand? I recently bought Wellness TruFood Baked on Amazon just to try!

17. Gloria says:

I feed my 2yr old chi Royal C for adults, he will only eat it with a little water and Cesar, he will not eat it dry.

18. Carlos says:

Does anyone have any reviews of Royal Canin Chihuahua food?

• Cheretta says:

My Chi LOVES Royal Canin Chihuahua. We switched to it when our pet store ran out and she handles it very well. In fact, she did not even get an upset stomach from the sudden switch. Seems to have good ingredients on the label. Our Pomeranian loves it, too! LOL We can’t keep her out of it.

• alicia says:

I currently feed this to my chihuahuas and have for 7 years because this is what the breeder fed them. I’m switching to another brand asap though, as I have done some research and RC contains corn, animal by product and wheat gluten, all of which are recommended to avoid in dog foods. I do have one chi with skin issues and am hoping that switching to better ingredient food may help.

• Libby Bar says:

I had the exact same problem with Royal Canin and even had to take my little Jesse to the pet dermatologist. He told me that it was not enough meat in it and had products that dogs can’t fully Digest. I am beginning to believe that Royal Canin is one of those brands that was designed to be sold by vets for profit. My Jesse is like my baby and I want only the best for him but he does have a very sensitive tummy, and it has been so hard to find the right food

• Debbie says:

First ingredient is corn which is not recommended.

19. Amanda says:

My Chi had dry skin on his belly and I heard that it would help to drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil in his dry food. It worked and he loves it!:)

20. Jodik says:

I started feeding my Chi Orijen & it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for him. He’s a picky eater, was having tummy issues & had loose stools, but since switching to this amazing grain free brand he’s happier, softer shinier coat & his stools are a solid consistency. His breath even smells better, which tells me his tummy issues are getting better. Honestly, I’m surprised Orijen isn’t on this list. The food is even safe for human consumption (not that I would, but doesn’t that tell you everything you need to know?). Check it out. Especially if you have a Chihuahua. You won’t be disappointed. I can’t say enough about this company & it’s the highest quality of dry dog food available (in my opinion). It’s not cheap, but because it’s packed with so much nutrition you don’t have to feed as much. Best wishes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

21. Marilyn S. says:

I have an almost 2 yr old male chihuahua. He’s a picky eater, and will turn down almost any treat, so finding him treats, I usually buy trial sizes. Whatever he doesn’t eat, our chow chow will definitely eat it.
    He is also a picky eater when it comes to dry food. I did have him on blue buffalo, and he wouldn’t eat. When I got him at age 8 months, he was being fed table food and pedigree (bad food). So I had started him on the best kibble I could think of, but he wouldn’t eat. After months of switching foods, he LOVES the wellness trufood for tiny breeds. He will eat and eat and eat. Surprises me that he loves it so muchโ€ฆbut he leaves the dried green beans at the bottom LOL!
    I also supplement his diet with Merrick small breed canned food, and he gets raw chicken and chicken liver once a week. He has his own area in our fridge and freezer lol.

22. Aria says:

Is diamond any good ?

23. Karen OBrien says:

Wellnes, Eukanuba, and homemade, baked or boiled chicken with carrots. I got my picky girl to eat dry food by adding water down gravy. Warm. Drizzle over dry food slowly less and less. I also brought her bowl with my dinner so she thought it was my food. Took some time and patience. She still turns her nose up. But I add warm water and she gets chicken bites if she eats her food. She eats. My vet says chicken breast and carrots, with rice is perfectly fine.

• Linda J says:

I am having trouble with my chihuahua Arney eating. I have tried recommended food (C—r) by the previous owners, and table food too. He eats the food for a couple of times then he stop. I enjoy selecting different flavors of C—r so he want get bored and so I will have a variety of flavors for him to eat. His favorites have been duck and juicy beef but now he will not eat those. He goes for days not eating much of anything. I am at my wit’s end. Is this a characteristic found in Chihuahuas? HELP!

• sharron says:

Hi Linda – yes it goes along with being a chihuahua.
        i have a yorkie/chihuahua X and both of these breeds are
        picky – i have mine on Acana and feed her a different formula every meal to keep her interested – she did go 2 days without eating and her blood sugar dropped, brought up yellow bile, but would she give in and eat? heavens no!! – we are doing much better now.

• Libby Bar says:

Is very scary to me when they don’t eat because my little guy can go two days without eating and it is very frightening. A few bets have told me that it is because we consider these dogs almost as if they are human children, but that they can go for days without eating so they can heal themselves. I cannot tell you how much food I have given away or thrown out because my dog would not eat it or got sick from it.

• Mark says:

Hi Linda,

I am taking care of two chihuahuas and they are being fed Happy Hips which they like a lot. I try to feed them 3-4 times a day but small meals. Also, I have given them shredded salmon and chicken.

I found out tonight that watermelon is good as long as you make sure there are no seeds or buy seedless. The little guy loved it and the other bigger one who eats almost everything, passed on it. Nice little treat and healthy. They loved bacon but that’s just my direct experience as far as feeding goes. Hope that helps.

24. Mr Big Time Gambla says:

Give them a hot dog or chicken. They love that.

• Donna says:

For goodness sake and the sake of your Chi, please do not feed them hot dogs. There is way too much sodium in the dogs for humans so you know it is not good for Chi’s because they have sensitive stomachs. And, they have lots of fat added to them also, which no dog needs.
      I make my SweetiePie’s food. using ground meat 85% lean, sweet potato, veggies like broccoli, spinach, green peas, whatever I have on hand, carrots, and believe it or not pasta such as egg noodles. I make it like a meat loaf and sometimes I put fully boiled eggs in the center of the meat loaf. She loves most of it and what she does not like she spits it out (which is not much). She also loves blueberries, apples (peeled) and she likes oranges but not in the meat loaf! Hope this helps. You can also make this with chicken that you have cooked and shredded up into smaller pieces. She likes that one also. I don’t mind cooking for her as I live alone and just use some of her meats for my meal. (I just keep enough out for me to eat and then proceed to make her food)

• Bev says:

I want to say thank you for what you wrote up my teacup Chihuahua is a very picky little girl I have fed her a lot of different foods and treats and she had no interest in it I cut up the apples peeled it she loved it and so now I’m gonna go try the meatloaf I’ll update you on that but loves apples n I think she’s gonna love her meat loaf she was losing a lot of weight so I had to find the site and I think you say my little one thank you

25. Jessica says:

My dog is a Chihuahua and she eats puppy chow but that was because she was really skinny but now she gained weight she doesn’t like to work out she just likes to sleep in I don’t know what else to feed her other than puppy chow any suggestions

26. Kacie says:

My vet reccomended Nutrisca Grain & Potato free Lamb & Chickpea Dog food. The ingredients are all natural, meat hormone free. The first 5 ingredients are Lamb, chickpea, salmon meal, Chicken & Dried eggs. Immediately following that is alfalfa meal, pea fiber, pea protein, carrots, tomatoe & cranberries. Other great ingredients after that.

We couldn’t be happier with the improvement we’ve seen in our dogs! My female had major skin & coat issues. My male couldn’t gain weight before. Now that they’re on this, they are so much better. It is 10$ for 4lbs. But it’s worth it. The kibble is super small too so they eat it with ease.

27. Michelle says:

I was feeding my chi science diet and also some ceaser wet food as well – but I wanted to try something diff so now we just started royal canine for chi. She loves it – she’s only picky on treats
    She’s 4 months old

28. Christine says:

I have my Chi on Fromm, it is one of the only companies that has never gad a recall. She loves it and her coat is beautiful and shiny. The ingredients are very high quality. I suggest any one looking to switch look into Fromm.

29. Lesley says:

Hi, looking for the best for for our 4 month old Chihuahua. He would prefer fresh chicken but not very balanced. He is currently on Royal canin Chi puppy which he will eat if he has to , tried it soaked and dry. I recently changed My other dogs are on which is supposed to be fabulous( my digs love it but aren’t fussy eaters) I prefer the idea of Acana but their small breed puppy food recommends for dogs reaching 9kg Adult weight, I’m taking from that that it isn’t suitable for Chihuahuas?. Does anyone know of a more natural dog food suitable for a Chihuahua in the uk? Thank you.

30. susan says:

Royal Cabin I tried has first ingredient corn!! Switched to wellness may switch again

• Rachael says:

Try Primal Nuggets. It’s organic freeze dried. It’s wonderful and can be fed to dogs throughout their life. My chi, Edith, loves chicken.

• Sue says:

My chi was in wellness doing great, than starting shedding horribly, want to switch her to something else. She is 5 and 4lbs very active,,not worried about the cost..blue buffalo?

31. Jill says:

My chihuahuas stopped eating Royal Canin Chi formula and I tried 5 different brands even grain free. I’m at a loss of what to try. My vet is no help. They will eat some canned but can’t get them on dry.

• sharron says:

hi jill – my yorkie/chihuahua is exactly the same – after eating royal canin for about a month, she threw her paws up in the air and said no more of this food – so today went on the hunt for another food – bought 3 bags of the GO shine and sensitivity dry food – will give that a try at dinner – she is so picky when it comes to dry – she likes orijen but i think it’s too high in protein, she sure poops a lot when she eats it –
      have to add wet food to the dry or she won’t eat at all – she goes on a hunger strike

• Leslie says:

Good quality canned food will be fine, along with some freeze dried sprinkled on top. Kibble in general is processed food. I would not sweat the fact that your dog doesn’t like kibble. Find good quality canned foods that your dog likes; supplement with freeze-dried if you can afford it (a little goes a long way with a chihuahua!); supplement with unpasteurized goat milk for added probiotics; and add a tiny amount of Plaque-Off, a wonderful seaweed product that fights tartar, plaque, and bad breath. Good luck!

• Einat says:

I am right there with you. I recently rescued 3chis and they are really picky. I can’t find anything they like!

• Angela Smitty says:

When you find something your dogs like let me know please cause I have a two year old and she will not eat anything but meat,boilded chicken ,pork chops,steak,thats all I can get her to eat, I have about 20 different kinds of dog food and she will not eat it,i just bought a bag of orijen grain free and she walks away from it, I need help

• Libby Bar says:

I could probably open my own pet food store with all the brands that I have tried. It is very frustrating because Chihuahuas can like a food for a while and then suddenly go off it completely. I’m now at the point where I will probably be making my own chicken for him and mixing it in with a little good quality kibble because I do need a little chewing challenge for his teeth. Today just stopping by the local pet shelter to drop off another bunch of food that I have tried feeding him but failed.

• Eve says:

My chihuahua was on Royal Canin when I got her. She didn’t like it much, I changed to IAMS. Not much difference but she likes it better than Royal Canin. Then I tried Blue Buffalo, her reactions were like with Royal Canin. So, after all that, I tried Orijen. She likes it much better, but the most important thing is, her droppings were also very good and easy. She had hard time with other dry dog food, but not with Orijen dry foods. But of course, being a chihuahua, she prefers human food. So every now and then I mixed her dry food with bits of steamed salmon, she loves this best. Hope that helps!

• sharron says:

Hi Jill – i know your comment is nearly a year old but i thought i would reply – i have a yorkie/chihuahua X both breeds are known for being picky – i feed Lexee Royal Canin Chihuahua dry with Royal Canin Chihuahua canned – i have tried many other foods, grain free dry, dehydrated, raw and even other brands of canned – doesn’t like any of it – so back to the RC – she does well on RC but she does tire of it after being on it a month or two. Been told that i have made her a picky dog, perhaps i have to a point but i think part of it is her too – it can be so frustrating at times – take care and good luck

32. mandy says:

My dog is full bred Toy Chihuahua and he loves kibbles and bites American grilled style. Is this okay for him to eat? I mean mean he’s not that chunky but he looks like he’s fed very good.

33. Jess says:

My 5 month old chihuahua will only eat Taste of the Wild adult dog food. Ingredients list is great and it is reasonably priced at Tractor Supply. Both my 80 lb+ Sheepdog Poodle mix and my 3 lb Chihuahua eat the same food. I buy my Chi the puppy formula but he steals my Sheepdogs food and doesn’t really seem to like his so I give him the adult one too. Hope this helps!

34. JOYCE KRUGER says:

my dog is sneezing a lot. my vet said to try new dog food my dog is part Chihuahua ten pounds. WE HAVE HIM ON WELLNESS DRY WHITE FISH AND SWEET POTATOE. WHAT IS A GOOD ONE TO TRY.

• Eve says:

Orijen 6 fish or Acana Pacificia

• pumpkin says:

I had the same issue with 2 of my Chi’s. You are over feeding them. Some Chi’s will only eat once a day and that’s okay. They also eat better when hand fed. Try the seafood formula FROMM brand dry dog food. My picky Chi’s like it because it has a strong smell. Stop giving them so many choices and whatever you do DONT give them human food.

• Rachel says:

He may have been allergic to or intolerant of something in his last food. Check out what kind of meat it has and if it had grains or glutens. The most common food allergens for dogs are beef, dairy, chicken, lamb, fish, corn, wheat, soy and yeast. So you might want to try a limited ingredient food to see what he doesn’t react to. There are a lot of options e.g. a food with buffalo as the only meat and no gluten is often tolerated well

• Bill Haugh says:

.I boil 2 chicken breaststroke along with 4 chicken quarters than in a food processor do 1 lg. Carrot 1 can of green beans & a few nice pieces of broccoli blend. Let chicken cool , oh yea 1 can of chicken broth & 1 can of water when cooking chicken in a separate pot I cook 1/4cup of barley and add this to the mixture let chicken cool down than take all the meat off (no fat) pull or chop into small bits mix everything together freeze in individual containers ,small so each one can last 5 days. Only give 1/4 cup along with 1/4 cup of a healthy dry . He loves it & I also change up on the meats so he doesn’t get bored with his food.good luck

35. Chris says:

I adopted a 5 year old Chihuahua and didn’t know what to feed her. She is rather picky on what she eats. I tried Blue Buffalo and Timberwolf… both of which are expensive but good for her… but she only would eat it if that’s all that was in the bowl. She sulked most of the time. I switched to Science Diet and she now is eating. I mix it with a little Cesar Grilled Chicken… perhaps a tablespoon. She loves that… so that’s what she gets now. A dog food is only good if the dog will eat it. For treats she gets Science Diet Chicken and yogurt treats and small dog buiscuits.

• Susan says:

My chi is also a very picky eater but lately ive been adding coconut oil (Which I did a lot of research on before feeding it to both my dogs) to her dry Blue Buffalo food. As soon as she hears the bottle of coconut oil open, she runs to get her food. Its been amazing adding it to her diet. They recommend adding it to the diet little by little.

• Daniel says:

What makes them throw up white vile.

• Daniel says:

My Diego was a kill dog and rescuded from Texas and brought to Canada. We had him for a week

• Libby Bar says:

When they throw up white bile it means that their stomach is empty. Last week my Jesse threw up white bile and the next day he ate and today and stomach is hurting. Chihuahuas are very sensitive little dogs and I am accepting the fact that I may be on the search for the right food for the rest of his life.

36. Megan R says:

And by soft I mean wet dog food. ๐Ÿ™‚

37. Megan R says:

Amari-

I had a dog a few years ago in my foster care who did this exact same thing! I found mixing 1/4 cup of blue buffalo small breed with roughly two tablespoons of the soft blue buffalo and then half a chicken breast shredded/unseasoned altogether worked. Then I just slowly added less chicken, to no chicken, to less soft food. Now she only get soft food mixed in as a treat in the morning. Maybe this will work for you? I’m not sure ๐Ÿ™‚

38. Kathy says:

My Chihuahua is very similar, when it comes to food. I started putting his dog food in the refrigerator. It seems to help when he see me open the refrigerator door, he is more intrigued to eat his food. I still leave available food and water in his dish throughout the day. Good luck I know how you feel.

• J.J. says:

If it gonna feed her human food feed her boiled chicken breast, I also boil or bake carrots, broccoli if u have it but don’t over cook them cook them til they are done but slightly firm and mix together but make sure u don’t put any seasoning her food. my chihhuha loves it and I feed her chicken breast twice a day Everyday but he also eats his dog food. BUT not til about midnight and he has beautiful white teeth and a beautiful shiny coat, he’s a tri color short hair chi. And he never sheds.

• Jay says:

plain kibble is the best

39. charity says:

I have 2 Chihuahuas different breeds they don’t like any of the wet food I’ve bought and they choke on regular size dogfood even kibbles and bits I buy puppy food cuz its smaller pieces but worried that even though one is only a year old and my other is about 6yrs the puppy food isn’t going to give enough nutrition help please there my babys

40. Amari says:

Please help . My chihuahua wont eat anything but human food . She won’t even touch dog food . I have dog food sitting out for her and she will literally make herself throw up yellow and starve herself until she gets what she wants . What food can I feed her or suggestions on what she will eat .

• Gene says:

I’m no pro, but I know my 2 chihuahua’s LOVE people food and will not eat their “puppy chow” if I over do it with the human treats. But occasionally I have to play hard ball and withhold the treats till they eat some real food. They act upset but eventually they will eat their food. They won’t go longer than an entire day without food. I make sure to give them fresh (bottled, of course) water a few times a day. But they are picky especially when it comes to premium foods. They’ll eat Kibbles and Bits and other ‘regular’ dog food all day long but it’s not great nutritionally. Right now we’re on Wellness and I “cook” it for them in the microwave for a few seconds with water. If I just boil water and pour over it they won’t touch it, they have to see it come out of the oven. They’re so smart, but so dumb sometimes. That’s why we love them.

• Linda says:

Your dog is throwing up yellow which is bile. This is due to allergies and more than likely allergies in the food itself. Read you label, stay away from corn, wheat and other fillers in dog food which accounts for just about all dog food in a store.We feed ours Acana food or Orijen only. you can find them at the “better” dog food stores or at chewy.com. They may seem expensive but the saying goes “pay it in the food or pay it at the vet”. I prefer to pay it in my dogs food and they NEVER go to the vet except for their annual shots. Read dogfoodadvisor.com They will tell you if you food is worthy of your dog.

• kim says:

Try Nature’s Variety Raw Boost small breed kibble, and their canned food. I have a very, very, very picky girl who absolutely won’t eat anything else. I take the little dehydrated chicken nuggets and smash then up in my fingers and sprinkle over the top of the food, she loves it. I also will feed her a very small bowl of canned food that I make into “soup” by adding water. She isn’t a fan of drinking enough water,so this helps. She was a puppy that I home cooked puppy food for (using real human ingredients) she now eats THIS kibble ๐Ÿ™‚
      Hope this helps.

• Carolyn says:

My 13 1/2 purebred chihuahua, Zeus, has been a fussy eater all his life and he used to throw up due to not eating. We do two things that have worked great: We feed him 1/2 tablet of Pepcid daily, and we mix foods like roast beef or chicken with his doggie kibble. This has done the trick for many years.

• Katygurl says:

Ty for asking this. ..my Lil boy chi is 8yrs old and absolutely refuses to eat anything dogfood related. I have to fix him a plate at dinner too. Ty for all the suggestions ppl listed. .

• Dina says:

Your chihuahua is smart!
      Feed her homemade food!

41. Kim says:

i’ve been feeding my 13 year old Chihuahuas Royal Canin Chihuahua specific food for the majority of their lives. I recently switched to the Royal Canin Mature formula and it doesn’t agree with them as well. Mostly resulting in softer stool. We were on a trip and I picked up a Senior Version from Science Diet that agreed with them splendidly. I’m a little nervous to switch to Science Diet because I’ve read not great things on the Internet. I think I need to do more research. In the meantime, we’re going to stick with our original Chihuahua specific Royal Canin.

42. Melinda says:

That is very true Shanna, my dog’s teeth have been falling out to, I thought it was because it was his baby teeth, but it could be the food. I will be changing his food it that is the case.

43. Anna says:

I meant halo food. Sorry incorrect:)

44. Anna says:

Try Balo toy breed or Blue. Great ingredients. I mix with a bit of water and add few spoons of wet food by same brands. Everything else makes my chihuahua vomit and bleed!

45. Preeya says:

I was feeding my dog Blue Buffalo she became sick and was admitted to the hospital. Her doctor said the food was poisoned and not only me but my family was upset. Lucky nothing happened to my dog otherwise I would have sued the company.

46. Melinda says:

I have been feeding my dog Royal Canine plus. It runs a little expensive but I bought it because it says especially for chihuahuas. I tried changing to a cheaper food but he didn’t like it and started vomiting. Is this a good food, as I really haven’t even looked at the ingredients in it.

• Shanna says:

I also use Royal Canine.My dogs love it and are pretty picky like most chihuahuas .But they have lost alot of teeth,and have a lot of plaque on their teeth.So I wonder if it is food.

• Donna Lynn Meunier says:

Depending where you live, I would suggest the following. Canine Source. My chi eats surf and turf and all is good with her. I have had comments about her coat and teeth and she just loves this food. Where I purchased they gave me Royal Canin as this is what they were giving her. The next day I changed the food and did not have any side effects. I am extremely pleased and the store Mondou told me that this was I grade food

• Rebecca says:

i was looking to try and find something my lil girl chi would eat she is so picky,i was feeding her the Royal Canin Chihuahua Bites and looked at ingredients and its CORN.THIS FOOD IS WAY TO PRICEY TO BE FEEDING MY BABY GIRL CRAP,SO ROYAL CANIN YOU JUST LOST ALL MY MONEY.

• Anna says:

Well I just looked first I ingredient is corn! Second meat by products then gluten and other not so great stuff ๐Ÿ™ doesn’t sound very good for the price especially!

47. Elizabeth Swenson says:

Science Diet dry mixed with warm water and Science Diet wet. The only proven dog food for longterm care. Keeps them healthy and their fur soft.

48. Anne S says:

I feed my chihuahua Earthborn Holistic grain free. He is 3 and I noticed that he has a dark staining on his teeth. I wondered if it could be from his food. He is a very picky eater and it took us 11 different dog foods to find one he would eat.

• Nikki says:

I too use Earthborn and notice darkening of the teeth on my older chi. Sometimes they throw up their food but that could be just a sensitive tummy for a number of things. I just wonder if the food is causing in the dark marks on her teeth. She will be 5 in October.

49. Lisa says:

I feed my six month old Acana Puppy small breed. Is this a good brand? nIt says it is 65% chicken, egg or Fish 20% reginal fruits or vegetables and 15% low-glycemic Alberta oats.

• Leslie says:

Acana is one of the best foods available! It is from the same Canadian company that makes Orijen, probably THE best high quality kibble out there. Acana is a slightly lower protein that Orijen, but that’s okay, because it’s still far, FAR better than Science Diet or other low quality kibbles.

• Angela says:

My 3 y.o. Chi likes Arkana and Origen but the kibbles are too big for her. I believe she’s allergic to chicken, so I’ve tried salmon and 6 fishes. Now I think she’s turned off by the fish smell. Any suggestions on a QUALITY brand, small kibble turkey or lamb or beef adult food?