Chihuahua Lifespan: Average Life Expectancy of The Chihuahua

Healthy adult Chihuahuas live an average of 15 to 20 years.

Healthy adult Chihuahuas live an average of 15 to 20 years.

As with any breed, a Chihuahua's lifespan varies depending on a number of different factors (see below for a complete list). Some of these factors are controllable, whereas others are outside of owners' control. Owners should familiarize themselves with these factors so they give their Chihuahua the longest, fullest life possible.

There's no fool-proof method for predicting exactly how long they can live, but current data suggests that Chihuahuas live an average of 15 to 20 years when properly cared for by a loving owner.

Small breeds like the Chihuahua and Yorkshire Terrier live longer than medium-to-large breeds like the Labrador Retriever and Mastiff. Medium-to-large breeds have an average life expectancy of 10 to 13 years.

Does this mean all Chihuahuas live between 15 and 20 years? Not necessarily, but this is a good rule of thumb to follow.

Factors That Impact a Chihuahua's Lifespan:

• Diet - a Chihuahua's diet will directly impact their lifespan. Owners should feed their furry four-legged friends a nutritious, well-balanced premium dog food with no fillers, preservatives or artificial flavors. Avoid the temptation of feeding your Chihuahua leftover dinner scraps, as this can lead to obesity, toxicosis and other health problems.
  • Weight - equally as influential in a Chihuahua's lifespan is weight. Obese Chihuahuas are prone to a variety of adverse health conditions which may lower their average lifespan, including diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Underweight Chis may also experience a lower average lifespan due to malnutrition and a weakened immune system.
  • Healthcare - it should come as no surprise that healthcare plays a role in a Chihuahua's lifespan as well. Taking them to the veterinarian for routine checkups will promote a long, healthy life by diagnosing illnesses early, before they progress to life-threatening ailments. Most veterinarians recommend taking adult Chihuahuas between the ages of 7 and 10 for a wellness check once a year. If you have senior Chihuahua over the age of 10, however, you should take them for a wellness check twice a year.
  • Genetics - "good genes" can lengthen a Chihuahuas lifespan, which is why it's important to pay close attention to a pup's parents if you're looking to adopt. If the parents are healthy, energetic and happy, their pups are more likely to live a long and healthy life.
  • Spaying/neutering - Chihuahuas that are spayed and neutered tend to live longer than those that aren't fixed. Neutering a male Chi before the age of year will decrease their risk of developing testicular and prostate cancers, and fixing female Chis before their first heat cycle can reduce their risk of developing uterine and ovarian cancers. Of course there are other health benefits associated with spaying and neutering a Chihuahua, such as lowered aggression levels, reduced risk of running away, and fewer pups ending up in the pound.
  • Vaccinations - Chihuahuas require vaccinations and follow-up booster shots to protect against potentially life-threatening disease like the parvovirusLeptospirosis, Bordetella bronchiseptica (kenel cough), canine influenza, distemper and rabies.
  • Oral Care - like most small breeds, Chihuahuas are prone to dental problems like tooth decay, tooth toss and gum disease. Some studies suggest that as many as 9 out of 10 Chihuahuas will experience dental problems. Allowing your Chihuahua to suffer from poor oral health can reduce their lifespan. Bacteria enters the bloodstream through bleeding gums (caused by gingivitis) and goes straight to the heart and kidneys.
  • Gender - statistically speaking, females live longer than their male counterparts. The exact cause of this longer average lifespan is unknown, but studies suggest female Chihuahuas live 1 to 2 years longer than males.
  • Activity Levels - keeping your Chihuahua active is crucial to promoting a long, healthy life. Whether it's playing fetch, tug-of-war (with a toy, of course), or going for a walk around the neighbor, give your Chi plenty of daily exercise. Doing so will burn excess fat, build muscle, strengthen their immune system and ward off illness, of which impact their average lifespan.

The World's Oldest Chihuahua

The world's oldest Chihuahua on record (keyword being on record) is Megabyte, who passed away on January 1, 2014 at the age of 20 years and 265 days. Other than the occasional news article and blog posts, details are scare about Megabyte's life; however, we know this full-bred Chihuahua lived 20 full years before passing away on New Year's Day, 2014.

There have been several reports of Chihuahuas living to 20, 21 and even 22 years of age. These reports were never verified, and thus Megabyte retains his title as the world's oldest Chihuahua.

Chihuahua Age In Human Years and Dog Years

20 93
21 97
22 101
23 105
24 109
25 113

*this chart can be used for all dogs under 20 pounds.

140 Responses to “Chihuahua Lifespan: Average Life Expectancy of The Chihuahua”

1. Fay champion says:

I have a chihuahua that turned 23 on March 19th this year she is spoiled rotten and loved to death her name is little bit

2. Gloria Estrada says:

My chloe is 19 yrs she is my medical dog and my best friend she helps me through my anxiety attacks, her arthritis has gotten bad her both knees and now her spine has osteoarthritis there are spaces now between her disc and on meds now doing good on meds, but if she gets worse i know ill have to put her down, but how do you know its the right time to do it my heart hurts to loose her but i cant let her suffer in pain. she was a rescue at 5 yrs ive had her for 14yrs now shes my heart and soul

• Greg Keith says:

Hey just a quick note. Chicha is my medical dog as well for the same reason. I totally understand the relationship, love and support Chloe is. I had a beagle, Max who was with me for over 13 years. Max developed cancer and although our vet suggested several options, I decided that some one who had given me so much was not going to benefit for these options as each was with a lack of quality of life for him. I respected this and made the decision to put Max to rest after years of everyday joy. I took a break and then Chica happens into my life, and she s a bundle of joy. She never took Max’s place, one of my favorite framed pictures is of Max and my first grandson, just laying on the floor chilling with each other. I know that day will be hard, and I pray for you, that in Chloe’s peace she will have the feedom to be without any pain.

3. alur says:

My Chihuahua is the best dog/pet I’ve ever had in my 67 years. She’s 11 and went blind about a year ago. (I’ve never had a dog with eye problems.) She’s been evaluated for a lens implant to correct one eye so that she can see again. It’s costly, $4000. She has about 7 years of life expectancy. I’m middle class and that amount of money is a big sacrifice, but I’m going to do it. Call me stupid, but my chihuahua is like a “comfort” dog to me. If there is a god and a heaven, she will be there.

4. colleen says:

My sweet dog full Chihuahua,she was 22 years old , put her sleep cuz she has lots sleep and her eye sights going blind.not play much. I really love her . miss her
    Lots.

5. Billy says:

My Chihuahua, Khloe, just died from cancer. 🙁 She was only 6 years old.

6. carolynyoung says:

Yes i have a chiquiwamixterrier 16years old and has cataracts and hip problems would you know how much longer she is going to live

7. Goldie says:

Baby girl will be 17 in 2 weeks, no more shots but wellness continues, she can barely see and definitely can’t hear anymore…. we travel often and leave her home with sitters she loves.. started kd diet recently…. am I prologin enviable? Suffering is not my thing, is it hers????

• Yaya says:

Are they really suffering ? My Dazee is now the 14.5 yrs old, I’m sure she’s going blind is losing her hearing and senses. She has to smell you for a while before she recognizes who you are. It’s sad but I don’t want to put her to sleep if she’s not showing signs of pain.

8. Mary says:

I have 3 Chi’s 2 are 12 Pixie and Boogie, Nacho is 14, Boogie is Blind and suffer a stroke twice she is a tiny frame CHI. Life is comfortable for her. She has her own suite and lots of quality loving. The Pixie and Nacho are graying but still very rambunctious running and playing in the yard. I do not ever see them slowing down. I have a 2 year old Havanese that keeps them all young.

9. Crystel says:

I have a girl chi, Violet. She’s 17 this year, blind, hearing loss, bad knees and has dimentia. The best I can do for her is love her. Her weight is spot on. For exercise she walks the back yard in circle (I’m with her the entire time like a mama bear. I’m thinking of renaming her either Timex (takes a licking and keeps on ticking!) …Or the terminator. Lol! Thanks for the chi info.

10. Donna says:

I have a thoroughbred Chiwawahs from Texas. He is 17 yrs old and has developed a cough which causes the trachea to collapses. I am trying different things in his diet and with warm water, honey and tea. He seems to like his diet along with dry food. I also know that they have drops that you can purchase on line for this particular problem. He also suffers from anxiety separation. It’s only for a short time, but it makes him cough. Any other thoughts as to what I can do for him?

• Nicolette says:

Coconut oil and moringa powder are great for doggies immune systems!

• Larry Was says:

My chihuahua Rocco was diagnosed last year with a collapsed trachea. I didn’t want him on strong steroids or other medications so I did some research online & found a company called PawHealer in California. They specialize in Chinese homeopathic herbs. They have an item called hound honey syrup & a powder formula called lung Qi. I have had my Rocco on the honey and the powder for over a year and he is doing very well. He hasn’t needed any meds from the vet. He turned 14 in December. I would check out their website pawhealer.com, I also recommend calling and speaking to the owner Mark that way you can tell him your dogs systoms and he will recommend what is good for your dog. I hope this might help you. You can give my name if you decide to call. It truly has saved my dog.

• Ash Young says:

Humidifier, the drops and time my friend worked for mine.

• Yaya says:

My Dazee seems to just randomly sound like she’s congested, sneezing and coughing like if she has fluid in her nose or lungs. Is your dog the same way. It’s like she’s always trying to clear her throat?

• David Walker says:

Mine had those same issues & she is on fluid pills & blood pressure pills now, because the fluid will build up around their heart & kill them.

• David Walker says:

I had four Chihuahuas’, The Daddy lived 12 years due to diabetes. After putting him on insulin, he went blind & passed. The Mother passed at 11 with a brain aneurysm. They had 2 puppies & Penny just passed at 17 years old June 15, 2017, just 5 days shy of her Birthday & It still hurts my heart bad. I delivered her when she was born & she also died in my arms with congestive heart failure & her sister, Jazz is on meds for the same thing that killed Penny, but she has made it through her Birthday & I see she’s getting weak. I am dreading the day she passes away. I have feed them weighed out amounts so they didn’t get overweight. They have been a joy in my life, especially these last 10 single years of my life. Boiled Chicken Breast mixed with mashed peas & carrots is what I feed them & Deli Ham as a Special Treat before their bed time. Greasy foods will give them gas & bloated stomach & can kill them. Enjoy yours as long as you can & be sure to look on the internet for Human foods that will kill your precious baby, because you can never tell when they will just be a Loving memory.

• Joyce says:

My vet recommended wearing a tshirt for my chi’s collpased trachea cough and from that day, I never had to bring him to the vet for his problem. It was a simple solution and I’m grateful to my vet. No more coughing wheezing and meds for my chi!

11. Chihuahueno says:

My little one did not make it past 14 due to congestive heart failure and pulmonary hypertension that was unknown (except for heart murmur) until it was too late. She became oxygen dependent and it happened extremely fast. The previous week she exhibited no issues at all. I thought she may have had an obstruction come on due to swallowing a bone because she could not breathe easily. When she did not eat one morning I took her to vet for x-ray that showed heart full of fluid (mitral valve degeneration). After being referred to emergency hospital and her being on diuretics and oxygen she showed no sign of improvement except for eating after 12-24 hours. In order to stabilize it would have been 3 days and $2-6k to assess for any improvement with no known prognosis. I had to make a very difficult decision because even if I had thousands of dollars more and IF she became stable enough to go home, her 6 mo to a year remaining life span would have involved lots of medications forever that could cause other organ issues. She also could have died from respiratory complications that I understand to be very difficult on the animal or could have just collapsed at any time with no notice. I am very devastated and truly thought she would live longer. She was very active and seemingly strong (walking from 2 to 8 miles many weekends throughout her life which is tremendous for Chis even for her deer like stature). Once taking her in, it was determined she had weight loss and very low temp which was not noticeable at all. She also had a regular heartbeat which was unusual. This was one if the most unexpected and difficult things I have had to deal with because there were no signs. Most people would not get xrays for a stable heart murmur each exam so there is no way to know how many years this spanned. If you are lucky enough to have a Chihuahua over the age of 10, please take care of them and live them to the best of your ability because you truly never know if something random could happen at any time. And if you do know of a major illness ahead of time leading to life end, please make the best educated decision you can for your pet’s comfort and not your own and also based on whether or not their good days will outweigh their bad ones.

• Anna Beach says:

I just wanted to say i know how you feel. It is hard to have to make that decision to put them to sleep. My first chi was a little boy and I got him when he was 4 weeks old, his momma stopped feeding him. He was the only one in the litter. Before he turn 3 years old he ended up with cancer. It broke my heart because he was my day I never had and he was my baby. I have a very good vet and ahead said that he must have had it for awhile because it was pretty far. We could have tried chemotherapy but that may have only given him about 6 months. My father and father in law had cancer and I seen what they went through as they took chemotherapy. How do you explain to a dog that you will have to go through puking, not eating and just feeling like you want to die anyway.? I just couldn’t put him through that. Releasing an animal to God is hard but sometimes it’s the best for them. My heart goes out to you. I hope you got another child or any dog. I found that there is only two things that will love you right where you are at unconditionally, and that is GOD and a dog. I will always have a dog in my life as long as I live.

• Cloe says:

This was so very helpful, thanks you. I have a 13 year old Chi whom I took to the vet due to a swelling to the gingvae. The vet checked his heart beat and explained he had a heart murmur. Do to his decayed teeth this would cause problems for his liver and lungs. It’s been the hardest weekend of contemplating on whether to pay £££ for his teeth to be extracted and then for further treatment for his organs or to put him to sleep.
      His lives many years of happiness and now the antibiotics have worn off his back to his normal jolly run around self showing no signs of pain or discomfort! I couldn’t put him through having further issues in the future and him not having teeth as I see this would cause him more distress; so in 3 days I am putting him to sleep which has left me devastated to say the least. I am now 27 years old and had him since he was weeks old…it’s going to be a very tough day but after contemplating, reading and getting advice from others who have gone through this has made it become some what easier to let go.

• Jac says:

So sorry to hear this. I recently experienced the same with my 14.5 year old. She got sick so quickly. She was diagnosed with a slight heart murmer but no meds needed yet. She started refusing food and two weeks later in the morning I awoke to find she had passed, probably from a heart attack. You just never know. It’s so unfair.

• Yaya says:

Took my Dazee to Kansas for my daughters college graduation. My Dazee went outside to go potty and all of a sudden began foaming and seizing. When she finally got back to normal she lost movement to her rear legs. She struggled a little but eventually began to walk after I nmassaged her legs. She didn’t recognize me that she attempted to snap at my hand when I tried helping her to walk. To this day I’m not sure if she had a stroke or a seizure or maybe even poisoned. It was a scary moment but glad she’s still alive. Only difference is 4 weeks later now she’s sounding congested like fluid in her nose or lungs. Is this normal?

• Rocko262c says:

Dear Chihuahueno,

My dearest Chihuahua, Nuts, passed away from the same thing on 09 July 2017. He was diagnosed when he was very young with a faulty heart valve that we knew would only get worse with age. This escalated to the same diagnosis as your Chihuahua in the end.

Although he lived until he was 10 years old, he still acted like he was 4 or 5 and had lots of life in him. He had so much life left in him and then it all happened so fast and his poor little heart just overwhelmed his body.

We unfortunately had no opportunity to find out the health of his relatives since we rescued him. We also moved countries twice with him.

He started with strong heart medication from a vet in Australia that caused him to loose control of his bowels and seemed to make him more sick. We changed drugs and he seemed to be better and he returned to his normal lovely self.

We are happy that he lived this long.

This is just a reply to tell others what to expect when they have a young Chihuahua that gets diagnosed with the same problem when they are young.

This was one of the best dogs I have ever had in my life and would greatly donate to researchers looking to improve heart conditions in Chihuahuas.

Sincerely,
      Rocko262c

12. Colleen says:

My little Darla passed away in my arms at the age of 10 yrs. last Sept., she had a significant heart murmur and that was really her only problem….., coincidentally, her litter mates also passed away at 10 yrs. old within months of each other….., they also had heart murmurs…….very sad. I came to your website to try to discover the “secret” to helping any future Chihuahuas I might be fortunate enough to love, how to live a longer and healthier life. Two things have come to my attention…..if I have any control over anything….., and it is to make sure that from the very beginning, I brush their little teeth, and get them used to that, and as long as they are healthy enough for it, have their teeth cleaned at the Vet., and regularly exercise them within reason…… I hope this helps someone else and is encouraging to all Chi lovers. I still miss my little sweet girl so much.

• Lori M says:

I am so sorry for the loss of your little girl 🙁 They are extremely precious and loving. I too have a senior chihuahua who is at the end of her cycle of life, she’s 14 and I love her dearly. She is holding on strong but she’s lost weight and I know she will be leaving me soon. I’ve had her for 11 years. She was 4 years old when she was given to me. Before her I was blessed with a miniature poodle little boy at 9 months old and he lived to be 16.5 years. He was the best little man I could ever have had and lived a healthy, happy life until his last day. He and she loved each other very much and when he passed she became depressed for a couple months so I used to put his collar by her (he was cremated) and she would sleep next to it and I would talk about him and she would feel better. He died 3 days before Christmas 2011 in my arms. Now that I’ve had my little girl, she is the best little lady I’ve ever had. Chihuahuas, as well as Poodles are Very loyal and I feel enormously blessed to have had the years of love with both of them. Dogs love us with “agape” love, which is unconditional love from God, that humans are not completely capable of. Any animal lover experiences this type of love with their 4 legged children and I couldn’t imagine my life without having the chance to experience it! I miss my boy every day but that’s what helps me continue to feel blessed every time I think of him and I believe that I will be with him and my little girl when my time on earth has ended. I believe that animals have a soul also because God created them. I Hope that my words bring you comfort and help you as you miss your little girl. And I want to thank you for giving your little girl all the love she most certainly deserved! God bless you for your sweet heart and shared love and to ALL the people that shared their experiences with their sweet babies here 🙂 ♡ Lori

• Cason says:

Are there any signs of things like a heart murmur? I have a chihuahua, his name is tiny, he’s really my best bud, had him since 4th grade and I just graduated college. Hoping to keep him as healthy and happy as possible.

13. I adopted my Princess at a year old, she is going on seven now, and though not always as active, but my princess is going strong!

14. Carla Poole says:

One of my Chi’s is 22 years old she’s still active and loves her attention.

15. Laurie says:

My chihuahuas is named Bunni. And I had her since she was 4. She’s like 14 now. She suffers from seizures. I’m not sure how much longer before one comes that last too long and causes a brain damage. I’m scared and sad everyday but I try not to show it as I want her to be 😊 happy. I cant stop them. Only thing I can do is love her and hold her during and after these episodes. It’s so sad though. Anyway I’m so attached to her. That I will be more then sad if she passes.

• Lori M says:

Hi Laurie, I added a post today that you can read. I replied to another lady but it is for anyone here that has shared their experience of love with us…God bless you through this difficult time. Sincerely Lori

• CarolineO says:

Laurie, I have a Chihuahua that started having seizures last year, when she was 3 yrs. old ( I’ve had her since she was 10 weeks old.)
      Our vet didn’t know what was wrong with her. Because according to him, when dogs have seizures, they go on their backs!!! But my Chi, during these episodes never laid on her back!!!! Even showing him the video of these episodes, he was baffled!!! Long story made short I took her to a specialty vets clinic. The dog Neurologist did an MRI and CSF tap. The results where all normal (Praise God!!!)But, she is still having seizures!! The Neurologist’s diagnosis is that my baby has Idiopathic Seizures!!!! In other words, there nothing wrong with her, all tests where Normal, and they don’t know why she has seizures!!!! But, the doctor advised me to put her on meds that she would prescribe for her. I don’t like medicine, unless it’s absolutely necessary!!!!! So, I’ve started giving her a high quality multi vitamins. I read that dogs with seizures could benefit from a combination of Zinc, vitamin C, and B vitamins. Especially the Zinc, is given to humans for seizures. For a few months, it seemed to help. But, she had another seizure. I took her to a homeopathic veterinarian. She prescribed Bufo and Rescue Remedy. But, she continued to have seizures. One thing that you might want to do, when your baby starts having a seizure is giving her Organic Raw Honey, and Rescue Remedy for dogs. That’s how I stopped one of my baby’s seizures. Well,the first thing I started doing was praying!!🙏🏼 After I gave her the honey and rescue, I just kept petting her, rubbing her little head, talking to her softly, telling her that it’s okay, it’s alright, you are going to be okay. And that’s how I stopped one her seizures from coming full force. The Rescue Remedy for dogs (they also have it for humans) can be purchased at Sprouts or health food store. The Organic Raw Honey, can be purchased at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s or any healthy food store.
      My baby is now on Hemp oil, because the other remedies didn’t help her. She is still having seizures. The Homeopathic Vets tells me that Hemp oil should cure the seizures. We will see, I’ve just started giving it to her, not even a month ago. I hope this info can help your little baby. Oh, in addition to her multi vitamins, I add Organic Coconut oil and Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to her food.

• Lauren m says:

It sounds like your chi may have epilepsy. My chihuahua has epilepsy as well, diagnosed by a rule-out scenario like yours, when she was 3 years old. She is now 11 (today!). I procrastinated putting her on phenobarbital for the longest time because I was so sad to do that to her and afraid it would change her personality or dull her. I tried everything I could, just as you are doing, but her seizures just kept getting worse –longer, more frequent, and much more severe. Since she’s been on pheno (about 6 years), she has seizures now only about 2-3 times per year and they are mild. I strongly suggest you consider this option. I know it’s scary, but it helps them a lot. Lucy (my chi) is happy and relatively seizure free, no personality changes. The guilt I feel is from letting her suffer with seizures for several years when there was a known treatment out there. Just something to consider.

• Misty says:

My 13 year old chihuahua has had grand mal seizures every two weeks of her entire life I’ve always thought that she was going to die in my arms of the stroke but she still going strong

16. Josie Callipari says:

My Chihuahua Millie is 18yrs old in April this year. She has had 4 litters and all survived and healthy.
    My vet even bought one!!
    I’m so lucky to have her with me for so long as she is a very special girl.
    I have her on a strict diet feeding her small amounts morning and night as it gives her something to look forward to. Chicken thigh fillets from the butcher every week. I poach them so they are tender. Chicken breast is too dry and constipates her. I chop the chicken into very small pieces and add a little dry food.. age defying biscuits (diet science) and pour some flaxseed oil on top. Millie has suffered with seizures in the past and tummy problems but with her special diet and lots of love she has overcome those and is a happy lil gal.
    Her eye sight and hearing has deteriorated and a lil slower these days but in good health overall. She still has all her teeth 😬
    I would love if she lived to 20yrs + and if anyone has any tips please feel free to suggest anything else I can do to assist her in her age defying years.
    I am grateful for every day that I have her with me ❤️

17. DaysiandJay says:

Jayjay is going to be 5 and is a rescue pup, I have never loved anything so precious in my entire life… but then again I’m 20 with no kids lol. I LOVE MY DEER HEAD CHIHUAHUA!

• tina says:

I saved mine at six weeks my little taz man he is now 15, and when these horrible people were taking this pup to be put down because they couldn’t keep him O bought him. They wouldn’t give him to me and I couldn’t live without him.

18. Lana jackson says:

Daisy is 15 years old and still goin strong. We are proud of our daisy.

• Tyler Mason says:

My daisy is fat but I’m pretty sure it is just the way she is built, so I think she might be part wiener lol wiener.

• Tyler Mason says:

Does the lifespan of a Chihuahua change when it is a teacup Chihuahua other wise put as the “runt” of the Chihuahuas?

• Bunny's Mom says:

Small Chihuahuas do not live as long as larger ones. Therefore, if your Chihuahua is 6 pounds or even a little bit heavier (mine is 6.6 pounds, which my vet says is perfect for her), it will in all likelihood live longer than Chihuahuas that are 2 or 3 pounds. Unethical breeders produce tiny Chihuahuas to meet market demand. P.S. There is no such thing as a “teacup” Chihuahua, just a smaller one or a larger one.

• Jan morgan says:

My Wylie is fat too, but when he was born he was twice as big as his sisters, the vet thought he was 4 weeks older, I kept all 3, I had no intention of selling them, I love them to bits, but they are little monkey’s. I have the mum too, the dad lives with my friend.

• Sheena says:

How many pounds is she?

19. Audrey says:

Our Sam is a biter; sometimes very ferocious especially when trying to remove his lead after a walk. He is a rescue, 7 years old. We have had him for 4 months. Love him very much but his bites hurt. Any advice?

• Lindsay Levey says:

Give him treats and praise him when you are removing his lead. You can also try to firmly say “no” when he tries to bite you. Training may help too. Good luck!

• Trisha says:

• joe says:

Show him unconditional love hill break out of it.

• Beee says:

My chihuahua bites too, but I love him so muchooooo!!! His bites hurts a lot too and I have scars from his bites. He is now older and mellowed a lot when we adopted other dogs (2 brothers). Now my chihuahua is a happy boy and not so mean anymore. My chihuahua also lost some teeth from infection, so his bites no longer hurts that much. I think you just have to love your chihuahua unconditionally. My chihuahua taught me a lot of life lessons because he is also a very smart doggie. My chihuahua kisses me when I am feeling sick so I know he really is not a mean boy. Chihuahuas are just territorial. Mine is turning 12 next month, April.

20. Jane says:

My little chihuahua boy Tigger Tiger is 17 years old, I really hope he could live forever.

21. Kelsey says:

My chihuahua is 9 years old. Vet says his heath is perfect, and he is still so little at about 5 pounds. I did get some teeth pulled because they rotting.

22. Linda says:

The 7 yrs is an average over the lifespan.. They age faster in the beginning, & then the rate of aging slows. Dogs reach an age of maturity for reproduction to ensure survival for species.

23. Monique says:

I have a deer head and she will be 5 on New Years Day. She is extremely active and jumps high like a Jack Russell. There is no calming her down when I come home from work, or its time to go for a walk, or reward time with a treat! She can easily and effortlessly jump as high as my chest and I am a little over 5′ tall. I cringe every time I hear her little back legs hit the floor. I know one day this will take a toll on her tiny frame:( I wish there was a way I could discourage the jumping – but I know that is her way of expressing her happiness. Prayerfully, her instincts will kick in and her body will let her know when she needs to just wag in delight instead!

• Vanessa says:

I have a 13yr old deer head, boy do i remember those jumps and leaps she would take! she can no longer jump as high as she could but nothing some doggie steps cant handle! hehe! but man she is still that little burst of energy she was when she was 5! occasionally she gets into these super hyper moods and runs like a nut! walks usually do this to her and she tries to jump as high as she can but i try to not encourage it since she is my baby oldies. lol. If there is one thing i can say to you, is enjoy her jumps and take them in as much as you can! try to not focus on how one day she wont be able to and live in the moment with her. I sometimes regret getting her at such a young age, being a teen, being out with friends instead of home with her, you know.. things that pop into my head now that shes older but i cherish every single moment i have with her. she has given me the best 13yrs of my life! and hopefully many more!

• Lisa says:

There’s no such breed “deerhead” chihuahua. I’m not trying to be rude. I’m just sharing knowledge.

• Lori M says:

Hi Lisa, I believe the correct term is “fawn”, that’s what mine is. They don’t look like “applehead” chihuahuas, much more like baby deer. I was always told by veterinarians that they are called Fawn chihuahuas because there is a distinct difference in the shape of their heads from that of a applehead chihuahua. Is this what you have been told as well? -Lori

• Marie says:

Maybe sit down, and let her run up to you like that. Maybe she wont jump up on you if you’re sitting down.

• Liz says:

When I read this I cringed, you must not let her jump up on you, my chi broke her leg 2x’s and has a metal plate in her leg- 11 years ago- $3,000.00. She almost lost her leg I hope your chi is ok.
      Liz

24. Schullotonja@gmail.com says:

My mother has had as well as bred Chihuahuas for the last 15 or more yrs and always had good vet on speed dial. Lost a stud because the vet poisoned him accidentally while pulling bad teeth. Fixing girls don’t always help cause girl she has now blew-up 5 pounds heavier because of it. Be careful feeding them wet food because of no teeth to, soak hard good in tiny bit of broth or even water to keep weight down. She has also on many, MANY occasions had to help girls give birth because pups get stuck in birthing canal. It all boils down to if u love them, watch, learn, and love them the way you would your own human children! All dogs are the closest we can get to God on earth, their love is UNCONDITIONAL, and dog spelled backwards is WHAT??? God bless all u dog lovers….:-)

25. Gail says:

My Chihuahua is 17yo next month. He is in pretty good shape but can’t jump anymore. Sometimes his hips give way on the stairs but not often. He has lost most of his teeth from decay but still likes dry food. His eye sight is fine, but I think he is fairly deaf. He sometimes defecates on my tiled floor by the back door but I can’t be upset with him because of his age and I think it’s only the cold of winter outside that he avoids. He still has ‘playful’ moments which is really cute. He is still the best hugger in the world. We seem to have an unspoken understanding. I can’t image him not around but, still I won’t let him suffer if I think he has had enough.

• Michael Knight says:

I lost my baby on August 19 2016 he was 17 he was doing really good till I gave him some med for bloody diarea the lady from compound pharmacy called said they had prescription I had my care giver go get it I was excited I thought it was for his mouth I had most of his teeth removed over the years .had the lady asked if he had the bloody diareastill since the comtrolzole supresent was prescribed a mmonth n week prior I would have said he only had it once vet treated him Ihe was doing great as soon as I gave him the dose 1hour later he puked and 2hours later his back legs where like paradise he was Wably but he was drinking water wouldn’t eat he didn’t snap out of it I called 2vets they said wait till in the morning he was hydrarlted but puked for 106 hours I told vet to give him treazadone to counter act the drug they gave him iv said he might need go hospital then they called back talk me in to youth in Asia they brought him to the house to do it I didn’t want to I think the drug did something I h ave him in the freezer I’m waiting for packaging to freeze dry him do you think I should have his organs check by a different vet before I send him the freeze dry guy said he look him over n send back his insides does anyone have some advice

• Tina says:

The term is Euthanasia; not Youth in Asia
        I am sorry for your loss
        I would bury the little guy and let him rest in peace
        You gave him a good life

• Goldie says:

My girl is 17 in 3 months, she’s had a very ‘vacationed’ life since she was 3 but very much under weight!…goes to vet Monday, ALL tests have been normal so far but we’re worried 😢

• Sheena says:

How many pounds does he weigh?

26. Cody says:

My grandparents have a chihuahua at the age of 24 and still kicking.

27. bob says:

I had a Chi Pug mix that lived to 23 and got hit by a car. 🙁

28. Chihuahua Mommy4 says:

First off, I’m a mommy to 4 beautiful chihuahua’s, 2 males and 2 females…
    2 females ages 2 months & 18 years old perfect health..
    2 males 3 years & 4 years old..
    3yr old is in perfect help and my 4 year old, has 2 problems..
    1) he has a heart murmur, I’ve taken him yo several doctors and none can tell me how long he is expected to live, which I’ve asked several times due to the fact he has a heart defect..do you know? He seems fine but he was born with it by what the doc. Says, but he was diagnosed with it at 2 years old..
    2) EVERY TIME he goes out and plays in the sun he gets these bad sores on his back as if he had gotten burnt! No vet has been able to tell me why, other than “heat rash” but he only goes on every 2 hours to potty and is outside between 15-30 minutes..I have started taking him out on a leash and only going into shaded parts of my yard… I don’t believe its a heat rash (which is what I’m being told it is! )Do you know?

29. joseph lewen says:

My wife has a Chihuahua mix that going to be 21 years old in a month….

30. 😡 says:

first of all dog years in human years go by 7

31. Alana says:

My chihuahua is 10 years old and she has bad teeth she’s very overweight and has arthritic. How long would you say she is expected to live?

• Victor says:

Unfortunately it seems that you been fitting your dog with human food. That and other matters could cause the health issues in your dog.

• Serenity says:

She lived longer then my female. Jasmine had the same and died at nine years old. It depends on the dog I guess.

32. Melissa Mcelaney says:

My dog is female and six to seven years of age. She has had five pregnancies and may be pregnant again is this normal? She only had one puppy the last three pregnancies. Im so very worried and cant afford too spade her.

• Anthony says:

Not to sound like a jerk, but there are PLENTY of low cost and even free clinics to spay/neuter animals. If you can’t afford the upkeep of an animal you really shouldn’t have one. That being said, you should seriously start searching to save your pet from another pregnancy.

• Jen says:

PREGNANT 5 TIMES?? WHAT DO YOU MEAN, IS THIS NORMAL? UH, NO!! GET THAT POOR THING SPAYED!! Plus, If you do not spay your dog she most likely will end up with Pyometra and die a slow death. Plus why you are also part of the reason the animal shelters are filled chihuahuas

• Monique says:

Have you checked your area for reduced cost pet services in your area? There are lots of mobile vets that have monthly clinics that offer pet care at low costs. Also, Petco has lo cost services on Sunday’s. Hope you are able to find something to help offset the costs of getting your babygirl fixed 🙁

• Shelly says:

If you cannot afford to spay your dog, then check with a local vet office to see if they can put you in touch with an agency that will help with the spaying fees. Secondly, crate her when she is in heat, if you don’t get her spayed. Then you won’t have the pregnancy problem. If you have a male dog in your house, keep them separated.

• Lovemychichi says:

If you keep letting your dog get pregnant and can’t afford to spay her, you should probably surrender her to a rescue.

• Amy says:

Can you keep her separated from male dogs so this doesn’t keep happening? Having your pet spayed is not too expensive, considering the multiple pregnancies it would save you money and possibly your pets life in the long run. Are you keeping all of her puppies or selling them?

• Lori M says:

I agree Amy! Spaying is free at most Animal Control services depending on your income. I certainly think spaying is much less expensive than letting her have several litters and caring for puppies, feeding, vets..etc. It’s not God for her health to keep allowing her to have puppies! If people cannot afford to properly care for their pet then they should do the right thing by finding her a proper home to be cared for. One trip to the local pound is enough for anyone to see that there are so many animals up for adoption and many thousands are euthanized every year! I say, PLEASE be a responsible pet owner and keep your girl away from males until you can get her spayed!! It breaks my heart to hear of this… she’s not to be treated as they do at puppy mills that so many people are trying their hardest to shut down! Sorry, but I get so frustrated at people who are so irresponsible by letting their dogs have so many litters instead of getting her/him spayed/neutered!!! Oftentimes it’s free!!! Would they let their underage daughter have pregnancy after pregnancy without taking her somewhere to obtain birth control??? So frustrating! I’m just using my common sense and I hope this helps people think about their part in responsible pet ownership! The responsibility is no different than that of a child! Thank you Amy for your wise words! God bless you honey!

• Tina says:

You should have considered the cost of taking care of a pet before adopting one. Is she also covered with fleas and full of heartworms?

33. Tammy says:

I have our first Chihuahua, Zoey (fawn color). She is 15 months old. We are middle age adults Husband -56 school teacher,myself 48(stay home mom).”She replaced our 14 yr old Bridgette,Shitzu/Maltese. Such different personalities. Zoey is a joy. A bit stubborn. Took her 2day for her yearly shots. Vet told me she weighs too much. 7.5 pounds. Gotta put her on diet . What do you think.

34. Mia says:

My grandmother has a chihuahua that’s been in our family for 24 years. On August 24th 2016, we will have had her 25 years. I am wondering if she is the oldest living Chihuahua. Her name is “Baby”.

35. chi hua says:

I LOVE MY CHIHUAHUA

36. shelley says:

My oldest chi is 26 years old and the middle is 16 and the baby is around 8.

37. Fallon says:

My female Chihuahua is healthy strong well taken Care of
    She is over the age 16 & her breathing or the sound of her struggling give Me FEAR
    Loudly cough happens & if She has attention she’s like old old mawmaw
    And also if she’s being held when the gagging cough is happening (constantly) her throat is gently rubed downward she’ll calm down
    She is old smart healthy with teeth falling out bc of them only decaying from age
    Can Truthfull info be added to my comment
    Info on cough,aging, what else can be done or hints for, inspiring or helpful commits or ideas be added
    ……. Lets See what or if
    this will be helpfull???????

38. Brenda says:

Thank you.

I was told that a Chihuahuas could live up to 28 years.

Mine in now 21 1/2years
    Sorry I don’t have paper to move it.

I inherited him from a friend.

39. Jam jam says:

Hey this is really cool my bf has a male pure breed chihuahua hes grama bought from a showing breeder when he was 8 years old my bf is 23 now his chihuahua name is chico he was 7 weeks old back then both chicos parents were champion show dogs an chico is 15 this year he was the only pup short hair while his siblings were all long hair hes out lived his whole litter hes not fixed an he eats a diet of dog food an human food from fresh vegetables an meats an fruits an he has a lil hip problems he wobbels when he walks but he still acts like a puppy he has started to go blind in one eye but he can walk run play with my big dogs aka pitbull mix an rott mix an hes is the oldest dog iv ever seen who still wants to play like a puppy we have papers on him hes ckc registerd an im possative he will be the next chihuahua to be the longest living chihuahua

40. C says:

I have two TEACUP CHIHUAHUAS female & male, they are smaller than the average chihuahua does this mean they have a longer lifespan than the normal sized chi?

41. Sarah says:

Hey I’m sorry about you’re Chihuahua. But I’m 15 years old and my Chihuahua is 12. I’ve had her since I was 3 years old. My Chihuahua has a similar problem but instead of her hips it’s her knees. She’s a great dog but the older she gets, the more of a problem it is. She has really good days when she plays and runs, but also bad days when she doesn’t even want to walk. One thing I’ve noticed that helps is certain medications that you can get from the vet. The aren’t really expensive either. And my dog doesn’t take them everyday, just on her bad days. But yeah, you might want to take her to the vet and she might need surgery. I’m really sorry about your dog, but there are a few things that may help.

42. ChiLover says:

This could probably be adjusted. The current average age of death in female humans in the USA is 81 though counting in males would make it late 70’s but that’s still off some from the chart which has it early 70’s. Seems to me the majority of chihuahuas die about 15. That would make 15 chihuahua years closer to 81 or late 70’s. My current chihuahua has just made it to 16. When asked I told some kids that was probably about the equivalent of being in her 80’s.

43. Runner says:

My chihuahua is 16 YRS old. Her hips keeps giving out on her. I have to carry her outside to poop and when she needs to come in
    I pick her up to carry her in…
    I feel like she will be gone by end of winter. What do you think about her life span?

• Annie says:

I have a rescue chihuahua, that we think is 12 years old. He is healthy n gets lots of love. He had been kept in a crate for the first 1.5 yrs of life, and is trained on pee pads. I adopted him almost 10 years ago, and suddenly he is pooping all over the house. His diet has not changed, nor has the look and consistency of his poo. He is healthy in every way. Any ideas as to why he might be doing this? Is there a physical cause that this could be? Maybe mental?
      Thanks for any help.

• Arianna says:

Is your house carpet. I have a chihuahua that used to mistake the carpet for her training pads. We just didn’t let her around caroet, and put the training pads close to her bed, so she would mistaken any caroet as “her spot.”

• Don says:

Hi Annie,

I don’t have a Chi yet but am looking. Your question was intriguing to me and I would like to know the answer if anyone had replied back to you with such. Kindly forward if you could be so kind to: dhamlin66@icloud.com – Thank you and good luck with your little one..! :o)

• sandi says:

my oldest Chi was 14..and she would forget where the door was and would get lost in my fenced in yard…her eye sight was failing and just like old people do,she would forget…maybe your chi is at that stage of his life…my oldest was a rescue…most of her life she was kept in a small cage for breeding,she had a number tattoo in her ear…she lived with me for 4 years…she was a sweetheart..wish I had found her sooner…my heart misses her.

• Arlene Bennett says:

My foxy is 12 yrs old and she is the daughter I never had. She is my Baby . She is very energetic. Love to run , I enjoy coming home in the evenings been greeted by her. She is my heart love her dearly

• Liz says:

Annie, it’s just that your chi is getting old, they get a little senile. Mine is 12 and she has started going strange places she usually goes on her potty pad.

• Holly says:

Just wondering, is your chihuahua still living? Hopefully. I read your post.

• Amy says:

Try a Glucosamine supplement dog treat, we have been giving them to our Marcello for a couple months now and have significantly seen a difference and decreased injuries. His joints were very weak beforehand and we had multiple trips to the vet from him just jumping off the bed or couch. He’s an amazing dog, a bit spoiled but I don’t mind. 😁

44. Rick says:

My friend Charlie has a Chihuahua. the other eve we were talking and it came up… how old is that dog? He said going on 23 Y.O…. Dogs name is little heart.

45. Wayne Noah says:

i have an adorable little Chiuwauwa that was third in a litter of five.
    Four of the litter weigh in at 6 to 7 lbs, mine weighs in at a whopping
    16 lbs. he is built solid like a bull dog and doesn’t appear to be over
    weight. He is 7 yrs old now and very energetic. The love of my life.

• Ione puppies says:

My Chihuahuas name is Bruiser. He was named that because he looked like a little pit bull as a puppy. He is very muscular and stocky. Sounds a lot like your pup

46. MMrs Betty James-Simkins says:

Most interesting, you have answered all of the things I wanted to know. My Vet said the more or less the same, but I wanted to hear from ordinary people who have hands on with their Chi’s. Thank – you for your informative information, we shall now get Portia spayed. x

Many-thanks

Betty James-Simkins ENGLAND U.K x

47. GKoewing says:

The chart is not so much incorrect as confusing. If you swap the name of the first column (Age in Human Years) to “Calendar Years” it eliminates any confusion. The “take-home message” of such charts and graphs is that we can look up the average lifespan of a particular species or breed, but with good care and a healthy environment, the FUNCTIONAL age of our animal companions often doesn’t coincide with chronological age in a linear fashion. (Wouldn’t it be great if we humans could live normal, active adult lives until the last 2 or 3 years of our full lifespans? Sign me up!)
    Cheers!

48. tracy neely says:

How unfortunate I have no proof any more but I adopted my chihuahua with papers and all 10 years ago. Papers were destroyed in the big Texas fire of 2010…but on October 16 my little guy turned 24 years old!

49. JoydZee says:

This is just a correlation between a human and a dog based on averages. The fact remains time is relevant and well the dogs life is the same whether it is “dog Years” or not. I do not see the factors of this? but I do understand the segway if you will.

50. Koen says:

Hi,

Interesting article but you have the headers in the table mixed up. Age in human years and age in dog years have to be swapped.

Cheers,

• Me says:

No they dont. One year in human years is 15 in dog years.

• Jay says:

Nope, this is not correct. Otherwise 2 years in human years would be 30 in dog years, and not 21 as in the table, and 3 years in human years would be 45 and not 25 as in the table.

The progression is not linear and it is not the same for different breads.

• Brenda says:

I am sorry but think someone needs to seriously check out the age of dogs listed in the chart. My vets have forever told me that to find your dogs real age was to take 7 X his birthday years and that is supposed to be accurate. I am not understanding what this chart is all about.

• Smilint says:

Very simple. The life span of a bull mastiff is completely different from that of a chihuahua. Hence age charts differ! Simple!

• Ryan says:

The “7 dog years per human year” is a general guide. Since various dog breeds have very different life spans, the 7-year rule cannot be applied to all dogs all the time. Smaller dogs in general have longer life spans than larger dogs. This would mean that a mastiff may gain 8 years per human years while a chihuahua might gain 5, just as a general example. Also, the age at 1 year for any dog is going to be older than 7 because they are already sexually mature.

• Jim says:

The 7 year rule is an average of all the different sizes of dogs. The smaller the dog, the longer it can live. Being one of the largest breeds, Danes can live to about 8-10 on average. Mid sized dogs can live to about 12-15. Small dogs like Chihuahuas can live 15-20.

• Kevin says:

Yes but your chart is wrong – as it’s focused on humans when this whole article is about dogs and calculating how long they’ll live. we aren’t looking for info on how to compare our ages to dogs.